eighteen

'Well, we got the wedding postponed a month, but I don't know what else we can do,' JJ admitted as you washed your hands

'You really didn't have to. I'll be there regardless,' shaking the water from your hands, you said it as you looked towards her.

'Spence and I both agreed we wanted to give him a bit of leeway to- you know...' she refrained.

'Yeah. I know,' you glanced at your reflection and barely recognised the train wreck before you. As your roots had grown, that mouldy colour had worked its way back onto your head, despite that your hair was also out of place and unkept- not to mention the rest of your appearance.

'Have you even told him you're getting married? And to Spencer?' Emily added in.

'No, she has not,' Penelope shouted from the other end of the bathroom, leaving a stall, 'And I have been telling her to,'

'Actually, I told him the other day when he asked if everything between Spence and I was okay. He was pretty fine with it, congratulated me and moved on. I told him the new date for the wedding, just not that we had to reschedule,' JJ smiled, causing Garcia to shake her head in misunderstanding. Moving out of the hotel bathroom, Morgan was slumped against the wall with Reid intently factualising him to death; the older agent looked up at you and rolled his eyes playfully as Spencer went on and on without taking a breath. Hotch came forward from the left lobby and put his mobile away, sighing and crossing his arms- therefore, you tried to avoid him by pulling the hair from behind your ear and using it to cover your face. Just as you expected, he didn't pick up on it, yet Derek did and frowned just so no one would know.

'Sophie Worthington has been put under watch in a psychiatric hospital. She should be safe there, and so should the rest of the county,' Hotchner talked fast, faster than usual- as if he wanted to get away from where he was. Sophie's schizophrenic breaks had become far worse since the murder of her son and husband; she nearly lifted the table from its bolts as Morgan interrogated her, screaming and kicking as he tried to wrestle her down, just so she didn't hurt herself. When Rossi entered the room to make sure he was okay, he too attempted to pry Sophie back and stop her distress but the loss of her entire family had taken its toll.

'I expect you should all want some rest. We'll return to the station tomorrow. Pair up and one of us will have a room to themselves,' Aaron instructed and left to go towards the reception. Closing the gap where he left, you crossed your arms and looked around to the team who were all avoiding your eyes.

'So,' you began, 'I'm guessing its Emily and JJ, Morgan and Reid- would usually be me and Hotch however I don't think that's going to work.'

'I'll go with him,' Dave suggested.

'Okay then,' you placed your hands by your side, and everybody grabbed their bags. JJ walked aside Spence in an attempted nonchalant manner and Derek lifted Emily's bag for her whilst you and Dave hung back; he too took Hotch's bag for him and headed up to the row of rooms you had.

'Thank you,' you nudged the Italian on the elbow.

'How are you doing?' Rossi looked at you, pulling back a door leading to a set of stairs.

'I'm okay,' you replied, to which he looked at you with an expression of suspicion plastered on his face, 'Really, I'm doing alright,' you reassured as you waited for your boss to appear on the landing with the keys for your rooms. His face changed as he saw that Dave was waiting for him outside his room and took him a moment to realise that you were going alone- was that a flicker of his memory? Possibly- you had your doubts about you regardless.

Unpacking your bag, you folded the clothes gently and laid them atop the bed, organising the closet as you assumed this would be a long case when a knock at the door startled you- it was sort of late & unexpected. Opening the door- a little miffed- you took a step back as Hotch turned around to face you.

'I'm just checking that everything's okay with the room,' he widened his stance, placing his hands in his pockets.

'Yes- yes it's all fine' you responded, leaning against the door & swinging on it a little.

'Good. Well, goodnight,' he nodded, making his getaway; about to close the door, you refrained.

'Hotch?'

'Yes?' he came back.

'Everything okay?' you were curious of his demeanour.

'Yes. Everything's fine,' he grinned- not the smile he used to give you, but a grin was a start which made you nod your head- sufficed.

'Goodnight,' you whispered, putting your head against the door as you clicked it shut- you then turned around and placed your back to it.

               Walking through the office, you dropped a bunch of files on your desk and sprinted from the building- just before the team were about to invite you out for food. Landing home just before 6pm, you knew that if you made it to the library on time, you'd be able to get the books you needed. Striding out into the cool air, you propelled yourself down the street and towards the large and incredibly old looking place.

On first glance, it looked like a bank, but was in fact the largest library around. Hearing the door slam behind you, a small & ridiculously cute old librarian looked up, pushing the glasses back on her nose and smiling- the wrinkles were increasing on her face.

'Hello,' you smiled, trying not to scare her as you pulled out your badge, 'I'm with the FBI, I was wondering if you had any books on memory loss or psychology linking to physical trauma?'

'Oh,' she was slightly astounded but got up from behind the large desk, 'I think I have a section over here. You just follow me' she beckoned which made you smile slightly

'I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this but is it for a case?' she humbled.

You whispered, 'Yes,' and she smiled, feeling special that she had been asked for help. Leading you to a wall of books, you asked her, 'I wonder, is there any chance I could request books from other libraries to be sent here?' and she huffed and scratched her head with a frail arm.

'Let me go and see- you just wait there,' she toddled away, her small skirt swishing as she hurried herself along and you smiled, tilting your head. Skimming your beady eyes across the shelves, you picked off any books that you thought might help; picking out about three or four, most people began to leave as it closed down but the small woman insisted you could stay a little longer and you respected that. Suddenly, a man crept around the corner, but you didn't even notice.

'You know, I'd say this one,' he pulled a book out, 'Would be good for understanding the complexity of memory loss,'

'What are you doing here, Spence?' you sighed, not looking away from the shelf.

'Curiosity,' he justified, and you looked at him from the side. Observing him, he looked tired- worn- and you didn't like that. Spencer Reid was always the bubbly & intelligent one who was bursting with factual energy 24/7, but this time he looked tired. Properly exhausted. On the inside, you wanted to ask him about it, you really did- whether that was a good idea, well, you couldn't say.

'Don't profile me, Beck. I know I look tired- I am,' he acknowledged, so you moved closer to him.

'You're not the only one,' looking up at him, you said in honesty. Just as you looked back to the books, the small lady came trundling back and declared you could order all the books you wanted; introducing her to Spencer, she nodded and left you to it for the last half an hour leading to 7pm.

'Well, for now I have everything I need, except for a car,' you pleaded at Reid.

'I'll bring it to the front,' he put down a book, 'And Beck?' he paused.

'Yes?' you didn't look up.

'Stop trying to do everything on your own,' he furrowed, leaving you in the aisle, staring at a book you never thought you'd need.