nineteen

Surprisingly, the ankle boots didn't bother your feet whatsoever, and were inevitably a good choice; they were a deep maroon, suede style with a reasonable heel- just low enough so you weren't tottering about. Styling a black camisole and lace overlay, you brought forward a few strands of hair and coiled them with your fingers, setting it all with spray and taking an awfully large clutch. Not just for you, but for JJ, Garcia, and Emily's phones as you were the dedicated lady to stay partially sober.

You knew all too well that if you started drinking properly you would never stop, and another addiction was not what you needed for this girl's night out. Being supportive, they were adamant to drag you out of the house for the first time in weeks- the first time since Hotch. A light knock on the door made you think it was Jennifer, and so it was; she was wearing a baby pink mini dress that flowed at her waist, flashing some nude high heels

'I'll just be a minute, come in,' you beckoned, and she stepped in, surveying your place, 'Spence let you go out looking like that?' you teased.

'I was making my break for the door when I was cornered,' she laughed, looking up as if he would appear above her- just at that moment, she went to pick up a book from one of the many piles and you began to shoo her out.

'Okay! I'm ready,' you walked up to her, moving her along & out of the door.

'Everyone hand me your phones and any other valuables you probably shouldn't have brought and I'll try not to loose them,' you laughed, opening your purse so they could cram their belongings in. Emily was the last to do so as she paid for the cab before you entered the first club of the night. Bouncers that were exceptionally large and beefy held open the door- one even cracked a smile as you all thanked them. Garcia looked backwards.

'The one on the right is mine for tonight ladies,' she commented and strutted towards the bar whilst you and Emily smirked at your friend. Penelope was buying the first round of drinks and asked for everyone's order. Prentiss had a standard Guinness, JJ was all about the gin and Garcia had herself the bloodiest mary around. You, on the other hand, settled with any alcohol-free beverage you could find- whether that be Sprite or Coke- you settled.

Standing at the bar, the music synchronised with the lights and they changed colour with the beats; a DJ was having the time of his life behind the booth and many young people were dancing a few meters away. Prentiss and Garcia only took a few sips of their drinks before heading towards the centre of the dance floor, hand in hand. JJ and you, however, hung back and watched them twirl each other around- smiling and laughing- even though they weren't even the slightest bit tipsy. Doing a double take, you saw a man standing on his own at a table to the left. JJ saw you staring at him. To say the least, he was a handsome young man, yet being a little hesitant, you looked away.

'You should go talk to him you know,' JJ reassured.

'I don't know,' you confessed, thinking about Hotch for the first time during the night.

'Go,' she soothed, and you swigged your drink and made your way over, seeing him smile a little in the changing light. You got there and stumbled over any word possible.

'Sorry, I thought you were someone else,' and you excused yourself back to the comfort of your friends before he could even say a word.

'He was waiting for his girlfriend,' you fibbed.

'Ah,' JJ paused, nodding, 'You backed out didn't you.'

'Yep. Not tonight,' you said, 'I came out to forget for a while- not to replace him,' and your friend let it go. Instead, she got you up on the dance floor and the four of you laughed so loudly you nearly overpowered the music. Looking into the lights, your heart was relived for a short while and you felt a little lost without the pain of him around.

                Moving to the second bar, it was your turn to buy the round of drinks therefore you treated yourself to a whisky and thought nothing of it. One drink wasn't going to kill you. This was short lived as the whole club was a flat and boring mess. Garcia was yelling a little when she disgraced the bar aloud for everyone to hear and laughed it off as she fell down the steps outside. Prentis and JJ both held her arms in the air as she slipped and nearly wet themselves laughing- their faces red and stomachs hurting from the joy.

Some part of you was still holding back from having the fun you really wanted- you hated yourself for that- but had learned to deal with it as the night went on. Walking beside them, the four of you linked arms and begin skipping down the pavement singing the song from The Wizard of Oz and getting louder and louder as you did so. Some old fella yelled through his window to 'shut up' but you simply shouted back- he slammed his window shut and you all giggled in fits.

               Landing at the final club, it was by far the best- full of different layers and platforms dedicated to VIPs. Prentiss and Garcia hit up many, many other men whereas you and JJ stuck together. As the more defensive friend, any man who breathed in the direction of your best friend was eyeballed beyond compare. Spending all of two hours dancing, drinking, and laughing- the four of you found a booth towards the end of the night. It dipped into the ground and was pure white with LED lights stripped around the chairs- purple, you chose to make them purple and sat discussing the pros and cons of the job, the worst criminals and some of the most relieving cases to solve. Realising the time, you finished your drinks and made sure you all had your belongings. For the most part, you were sober and thought some fresh air would do the other girls good- so you walked.

Talking quietly this time, all of you had enjoyed the night more than before and wanted to do it again as soon as you could. The next weekend maybe? Who new- the minute your next request of books came through, you had to be at that library. Lights were dotting the street where restaurants were bustling with life compared to lifeless shops. Many other groups of women were stuck together and partying just as you were, or some couples chose to spend the evening out. Peering into one of the windows, you saw a familiar face smiling and talking- much with his hands.

'Hey look! It's..' and your beaming smile faded. Hotch was smiling in the restaurant, caressing a glass of wine in his left hand. His laugh echoed in your ears from the night he looked at you the way he was looking at this lady in front of him. Your mouth had dropped and fell with your hands slumped at your sides. The girls came back, still laughing until seeing what you saw and fell silent as they looked into the bistro too. Garcia said something but you couldn't hear a thing; they slowly guided you away as much as your feet remained glued to the floor. With your knees falling together, you couldn't break away. But there it was, right in front of you. Just how much of you he remembered. Enough to end up on a date with a woman who was everything you were not.