Acts of "Random Kindness"

Warning: crude language, racism, mentions of death, mentions of drugs, implied High Functioning Depression, and depression triggers, but if you didn't expect this by now, why are you still here?

--------(Uult's POV)--------

Isn't it strange how nothing is completely good or bad?

I mean, there is no distinct black or white, good or evil, pure or corrupt, without context because everything seems to depend on context.

Like, for example, when Marie Antoinette was blamed for saying "let them eat cake," the people hated her so much for it that they guillotined her. It was later found out that the offence was false and that she never actually said that, so the French don't hate her as much. They still hate her husband, but he did deserve it.

Everything is contextual. Everything that happens in life, happens in context. Sadly, in that context, it wasn't anything good.

-------

At the Phoenix Academy, I was suppose to be feeling happy. I was there, in the place many could only wish to be. Yet, as I stood before the Principal, I could only feel disappointed.

"We need you to change your name. It's too..." she curled her black claws, inspecting them with disinterest, "exotic. The children will have difficulty pronouncing it. Now, let's see... What's your hero name?"

"...Heartband, but it's harder to pron-"

"Heartband it is, then! Fits you so much better than <Skaala>, or that silly <vult> you keep calling yourself."

"That is my given name."

She stilled. "Ah..."

Yeah.

"No matter! You have your schedule, I presume? Have you gone over it?" 

Not even an apology. I felt my eye beg to twitch. Ass.

Without pausing a beat, Mrs. Edwards continued, "you will spend the mornings in your assigned classes at UA, then have a 1 hour break to eat and arrive here. You have Wednesdays off, since it is a shortened day for us, and as per-contract, you will stay for both semesters. Agreed? Good! Now, let me introduce you to Mr. Swipe. He is the teacher that will be..."

God, if you exist, please give me the patience and resilience to withstand this.

----------

Turns out,  the little girl, O'Seaghdha (aka Shi) was in the class I was assisting in. 

When she saw me, her eyes widened. Later, when the teacher, Ito Sensei, had their backs turned, she smiled and waved. When I waved back, the teacher had turned. I was yelled at for being distracted. I didn't care. 

Shi had smiled at me. 

Strange; for a moment, the hole in my chest was warm.

-----(The next day)-----

Today, my father turned on the TV. The first thing we saw that morning was a dead man, shot in the head by a police, since they claimed he looked at them the wrong way. I should have know that was a warning.