thirty- closer

𝙰/𝙽: 𝚒'𝚟𝚎 𝚊𝚍𝚍𝚎𝚍 '𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚋𝚘𝚍𝚢 𝚝𝚊𝚕𝚔𝚜' 𝚋𝚢 𝚗𝚎𝚘𝚗 𝚝𝚛𝚎𝚎𝚜; 𝚊𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚝𝚘𝚙 𝚜𝚘 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚌𝚊𝚗 𝚕𝚒𝚜𝚝𝚎𝚗 𝚝𝚘 𝚒𝚝 𝚠𝚑𝚒𝚕𝚎 𝚢𝚘𝚞'𝚛𝚎 𝚛𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚒𝚗𝚐:)

A week later,

"345.3...345.32...345.34...Aha!" I exclaimed and pulled out the book I've been trying to find all morning. I wiped the dust on the cover, "Academic Decathlon 2013 Practice Questions."

I've never actually done Academic Decathlon before and I know I've been to Regionals already but apparently Nationals is 5 times harder so I guess maybe I should prepare harder than the others.

I went to the nearest empty table and plotted myself down. "What are even these questions." I groaned while flipping through the example questions. I flipped to cover and it read '2013 Practice Questions.'

"Great this is from 2013, and Betty said each year the questions become harder..." I sighed, I read the different example questions. Most of them I got but there was one that got me frustrated;

The lyre is understood to be anthropomorphic. This can be seen in the...

a) use of ornament from many regions

b) appearance of eyes, nose and arms

c) use of skin on the circular head

d) attachment of six strings

e) instruments use for the healing of women

"The lyre is understood to be anthropomorphic. This can be seen in the... hmmm- what was anthropomorphic again?"

"It means that an object or animal shows as if they are human in appearance, character, or behaviour" A voice answered while taking the empty seat next to me.

I looked up and it was Peter.

A smile formed around my mouth, "Hey uh-thanks."

"No problem." He took a glance at what I was studying, "You're studying for the nationals next week?"

"Yeah, it just- I don't want to be a disappointment to my team."

Peter nodded, "Yeah that's pretty good mindset. But...You're already like really smart...So..."

"Aww thanks but..." I gestured towards the book, "I think I would feel more comfortable if I practiced." I laughed.

"Sure- Uh no one is stopping you, Y/N..." Peter chuckled nervously.

I smiled at the boy who was scratching the back of of his neck then realised something.

I frowned, Flash's voice echoed in my head; "Do you like Peter Y/N?"

No... I don't! But...why do I feel weird around him.

I shook my head, "No." I mumbled.

"What?" Peter asked.

"N-nothing... I-uh think I should head to class." I stattered, while packing up my things and heading to the librarian's counter to issue the book out.

"We have Chemistry together so I'll come too."

"S-sure Peter. I'm just going to issue out this book." I replied.

"Take your time." He answered, putting his hands in his pockets.

"Hello Miss Y/N." Miss Mitchell greeted.

"Morning."

"Just this for today?" she asked, taking the book and scanning the book.

"Yep. Thank you." I answered as she gave the book.

"Anytime, Y/N"

I smiled, "Thank you, have a good day Miss!"

Peter and I walk to Chemistry class together, before we walked in Peter spoke,

"Hey uh- I heard what you said to uh Flash at the party..."

"Oh yeah, it's no big deal..." I chuckled.

"I just wanted to say, thank you." He smiled. "But-uh next time you don't need to do that..." He laughed nervously, "I'm actually fine, I just... ignore hi-him..."

"Oh right, yeah of course... I'm glad you're alright though. I heard from Ned that you left the party so I thought maybe Flash was too hard on you and you weren't okay—" I laughed.

"No I- had so-something c-come up." He nodded.

"Right, well I'm going to head in class now." I replied opening the door.

"Yeah same." Peter responded and followed me in.

*Ring* *Ring*

"Hey" I mouthed to Betty as I past her desk. Anthony waved at me, I smiled back.

Betty leaned back and whispered, "Where were you this morning?"

"I was at the library."

"Ahh okay." She answered and turn around on her seat.

"So good morning class! I hope you all had a good weekend and now we will continue our work." Mr Cobbwell announced, "As you are aware, we have another assignment for the periodic table starting from tomorrow and we will get started as soon as possible."

Mr Cobbwell handed out the assignment paper to the class, "So this is the second part of the Acids and Bases assessment that we did last December and as you all are aware, we won't be able mark that yet until we receive the assignment for part 2."

"This is be due in 3 weeks so I hope you all use your time wisely. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me but most of your questions will probably be answered in the assignment information paper."

"Alright, now that is set. We will start our class today, which is atomic structures."

                        ~~~

Lunch time

"Wait do we have to move the banner closer to my left or your left?" I asked Liz who was on the other side tying the Homecoming 2017 Banner in the cafeteria.

"My left!" she chuckled.

"Alright, is this good Betty?" I questioned to Betty who was on the ground looking at the arrangement of the banner. She gave a thumbs up.

"Okay thanks." I tied the banner to a nail that was implanted on the wall and slowly made my way down the wobbly ladder.

"Careful Y/N." a voice called, I looked down and it was Anthony.

"Uh-Thanks." I replied.

"No problem Y/N. Do you um- have anything after school?" he asked.

"Y-yeah, I have Academic Decathlon Practice."

He nodded, "Oh right... I was going to ask if you wanted to— never mind." he smiled and walked off.

"Okay." I mumbled. Now I just think Anthony as a very close friend, someone I trust now. I've known Anthony literally for so many years and recently I've realised that the reason I was so nervous around him was that I actually cared about him and it might of not been that romantic feeling, maybe it was just a friendship feeling.

Okay, I know. Maybe I did like him but now I don't, I like him as a friend that's all.

And if you're asking if he is still dating Addison; he's not they broke up during Christmas Break.