Chapter 10

Lark:
Chasity and I walk towards a Starbucks. Our hands are linked together and she is swinging them back and forth. Once we enter the doors Chasity directs us towards a table far in the corner. I hope she doesn't know how uncomfortable I am. We sit down not even bothering to get any drinks. She looks at me with her blue eyes and they are fierce.
"Okay so tell me about yourself?" She says.
"What do you want to know?" I say.
"How long have you known Suzette?" She asks?
That's a easy question.
"I've pretty much known Suzette all my life. My mom and her dad were best friends. Then when her dad died, her mom couldn't handle looking at Suzette because she reminded her of her dead husband. So my mom took care of Suzette." I say.
"That's so sweet." She says, leaning in closer to my face.
"Hey want me to get you something?" I ask her?
"Yeah sure I'll have a Java Chip frap." She says.
"Okay." I say and get up from my chair.
As I wait in line I take out my phone. I type a message to Suzette and hit send.
Me: Hey you get home alright?
Suzette: Yeah just fine.
Me: What are you doing now?
Suzette: Hanging out with my mom.
Me: WHAT!
Suzette: Yeah I'll explain later.
I take that last message as goodbye and slide my phone in my pocket. I order Chasity's and mines drink. I sit back down at the table and wait for my name to be called for the drinks.
"So for prom do you want me to pick you up." I ask her?
"Well I'll probably be getting ready at Suze's house so you can pick us both up there." She says.
"Okay. That sounds good." I say.
We sit in silence for a few moments and then I get even more uncomfortable.
"Chasity?" I say.
"Yes."
"I know this might be a random question but do you have any siblings?"
"Yes. A sister."
"I knew it. I've seen a girl around that looks like you."
I see Chasity shift in her seat and she braids a strand of her hair. I feel like I've upset her and I instantly regret asking her about her siblings.
"I'm sorry Chasity. I didn't mean to upset you." I say.
She finally looks back up at me. She smiles and says "Its fine. I'm not really that close with her."
"Oh."
Chasity opens her mouth to say something when I hear "LARK." I jump up from my seat and Chasity follows. When I grab the drinks and turn to hand Chasity hers, I see that her eyes are wide. She wraps her fingers around the cup and tugs it away from my fingers. I turn to see a girl in a Starbucks uniform with her black hair pulled back into a ponytail. But her eyes are blue and wide like Chasity's. She has the same flawless olive skin but there is a scar on her collarbone that dips deeper into her shirt where no one can see it. Chasity grabs my wrist and pulls me out of the building. Once we start walking back towards her house she finally says "That is my sister Faith."
"If you don't mind me asking why does she have that scar." I say.
"We were in a car accident that killed our dad. She almost died. She was in a coma for about a year. She blames me for our fathers death. I've told Suze about the accident but I didn't tell her about my sister being in it with me. I guess I just didn't want to talk about how my sister and I used to be best friends until that night." She says.
"Oh. If you didn't tell Suze then why are you telling me?" I ask?
"I don't know." She says.
I walk Chasity to her house and I kiss her on the cheek. She blushes and waves as she retreats back into the house.
I get back to my house and I prepare to get my stuff ready for Suze's house but I get a text from her saying:
Sorry but you can't come over tonight. My mom wants to spend time with me but if you want you can come over tomorrow!
I sigh. I check on my little brother in his room and he is soundlessly sleeping. I pull the blanket up higher to his chin. My feet make their way back to my room. I lay on my bed and put my headphones in. The music blares loudly in my ears. It sounds off for a second because I get a text. I unlock my phone and the text is from the Unknown number. I guess I was expecting this.
Unknown: 3 more days and you will finally know who I am.