Chapter 11

Suzette:
My mom made dinner that night. I am so used to making myself a bowl of cereal for every meal of the day that I forgot what real food tastes like. We sit awkwardly at the dining room table. I spoon some rice and then dump it back onto my plate. I look up at my mother and she is staring at me with her eye brows raised.
"How is it?" She asks?
"Great!" I say.
She raises her eyebrow even higher but I just look down away from her stare.
"Can I be excused?" I ask?
She nods and I jump up from my chair. I didn't ever think my mom would come back and now here she was acting like we were a family. I make my way up the steps and down the hall. I stop at the door to my room and look at the picture hanging on the wall. My parents are looking lovingly into each other's eyes. My mother is wearing a pair of blue jeans and a rose colored blouse. My dad is wearing blue jeans as well but he has a blue t-shirt on that says SAVE THE MANATEES. I laugh quietly to myself. I know that in that picture they are in Florida, where my dad was born. I duck my head and walk into my room. My feet lift up and walk to my closet. My fingers close around the handles and I pull the door open. The ocean blue dress almost blinds me. The beautiful diamond gems lining the neckline. It's the most beautiful dress I've ever seen.
I think about what it would be like if I was popular and beautiful. If I had Lark as my boyfriend. If everyone liked me and wanted to be my friend. If I was nominated for prom queen.
But those are just dreams and that will never be my life. And that's okay with me. This is my life and I wouldn't have such great friends if I had the other life.
I sigh as there is a knock at my door. I open the door to see Lark's hazel eyes. He smiles. I can't even hide my shock.
"W-w-w-what are you doing here?" I ask?
"I can't stop by to see my best friend." He says.
I purse my lips and he smiles even wider. He leans in to kiss me but I pull back, his lips only brushing my cheek. My body reacts by shivering. He pulls back, his eyes wide.
"Why did you pull away?" He asks?
"Chasity." I say. And that's all I needed to say because he frowns. He takes one step away from me.
"I saw Chasity's sister today." He says.
"Faith." I say.
He nods.
"How did she react?" I ask?
"Shocked. I mean how would you react if you saw your sister who blamed you for your fathers death." He says.
"I...guess shocked."
"Yeah well I just wanted to come by and check on you. I didn't really think your mom would be here." He says.
"I had dinner with her. It was really awkward." I say.
He laughs and then hugs me. I tense up but then he let's go. He kisses my forehead and then walks out of the room.
I sigh and my mom is waiting by the door. She walks in. Her eyes are filled with concern.
"Suzette. Are you okay?" She asks?
"Yes why wouldn't I be." I say.
She walks over and throws her arms around me. My arms stay at my sides in shock. She pulls away. She puts her hand on my cheek and her eyes drift to the dress hanging in my closet.
"You will look beautiful in that dress. Do you want me to get you ready on Friday?" She asks?
"Yes. That would be great." I say.
She kisses my forehead and then walks out the room.
Today is Wednesday and I just realized it. That means that Friday night is the prom. And prom is the finale.