Chapter 18

Lark:
My mom told me the greatest thing in life is love. And if you haven't found love then you haven't really lived. I've found love. But my mom never told me what is was like to loose love. So I just lost the love of my life. It was the most excruciating pain ever.

I'm back at my house. I'm getting ready for prom. I'm not wearing makeup or anything but my hair at least has to look nice. Chasity decided that she should come over earlier. That was okay with me considering her creepy sister and her sisters boyfriend wanted to meet up after prom in the woods. I still didn't know if I completely believed it was truly her birthday. But whatever as long as I don't have to stay to long at prom watching Suzette dance with Porter at prom.

My mom had left an hour ago to help Suze with her hair and makeup. I really wanted to see what she looked like but I would have to wait until prom. I put on my tuxedo but I leave my hair the way it is. I don't care if my hair is messy and the blonde strands are sticking up in some places. That's the way Suzette likes it. I want to go see her before I go to prom. I walk to my door but as soon as I open it Suzette is already standing there. She's absolutely gorgeous. Her hazelnut hair is in a bun on top of her head with a few curls framing her face. There's barely any makeup on her face except for a golden eyeshadow on her eyelids. Her dress is almost as beautiful as her face. There is so many different colors of blue. The neckline is a little low cut and strapless. Her dress ends right above her ankels. I bring my eyes back up to hers. She throws her arms around me. I jerk back surprised. But I bury my face in her neck and kiss her there. She gasps.

"Suzette why are you here?" I ask?

"I...I... lo-" She says but I interrupt her.

"Suzette don't say it. I don't want you to say it because you feel bad."

"No Lark I do. I love you."

There it was. The big I love you. My heart stops and wrap my arms around her waist to pull her closer. I don't how long I've waited for her to say that.

"Chasity will be here soon." I say.

She pulls away from me. She takes my arms off of her waist. I reach for her again but she holds her hands up as to say for me to not touch her.

"Lark why do you always shoot me down whenever we are finally in a good place. First with Marin and now Chasity." She says.

"I'm not trying to shoot you down. I'm just telling you that if we are going to make out a little before she gets here then we only have a little time." I say.

She smiles and we reach for each other. Her arms go around my neck and mine back around her waist. Our lips meet and move together in symphony. She pulls away to take a deep breath and I take that chance to kiss her cheek and then make my way down to her neck. She puts her hands on my cheeks and brings her mouth back to mine.

I hear someone behind us clear their throat and say "Well um I guess I know why you didn't answer my text Lark.

Suzette's face goes red and she pulls away from me.

"Oh my god I'm so sorry." She says.

I start to laugh and Porter laughs too. He's already dressed in his tux and his blonde hair is slicked back.

"Well I came by to make sure you were really alright with me going to prom with Suzette but it looks like you guys are going together now." Porter says.

"No we're not going together. I'm going with Chasity and then after prom I'm going to be with Suzette." I say.

"Okay well are you ready to go Suze. I kinda want to go to dinner before we go to prom. I guess I can take this chance to get to know you." He says.

"Yes of course. Well uh Lark I'll see you at prom." She says.

She kisses me on the cheek and then walks over to Porter. He holds out his arm and she loops hers with his. Before she leaves she shoots me a smile and I notice something on her neck that I didn't notice before.

There is a diamond shaped like a dove hanging down her neck. And then without me ever really getting a good glimpse at it she's gone. I am jealous of Porter. He gets to go to prom with my secret girlfriend. For some reason I don't like calling her my secret girlfriend. I would much rather like it if she was my actual girlfriend.

My phone buzzes in my pocket and I reach in and grab it. Across the screen it flashes Unkown. I open the text and it says:

Unkown: I'll see you soon.

Whatever that means? I won't let this person ruin my night but what if they already have? I can't afford to think like that. Not with Suzette's life on the other end.