Selfish ~

Welcome back everyone!! Hope you all like the story so far, I know we just got started but oh well. Nothing really to say here, except I hope you all are staying safe. Sending lots of love during this hard time. Anyways, please comment AND vote, and enjoy the chapter.
_________________________________

Kailen stood there, eyes burning with anger as he looked at me like I was vermin. I could tell just by his body language that he was seconds away from snapping. And I didn't know if it was at just me, or if it included Cassie too. Either way, I slowly arose, standing guard in front of Cassie. I didn't understand why I wanted to protect her, maybe it had something to do with her being a child. All I knew was that the angry alpha wasn't going to touch her.

So I stared him down, not breaking eye contact.

I knew that maintaining eye contact with an alpha was grounds for a challenge, and that any other member would probably have been slaughtered on sight. But this was one challenge that I wasn't afraid to take.

His gaze remained piercing on me, until he looked behind me at Cassie. His gaze softened for just a brief second as he stared at her, before it returned to angry. He jerked his head back at me, squinting his eyes in an accusing way.

"I ordered you to stay in the cell," He spit. His tone cold and unforgiving, but I also didn't care at all. Why would I care about anything he has to say?

"You can't expect me to stay hostage in a cell," I replied, "Especially one made of silver."

"It's made of silver to keep prisoners in."

I didn't know if he was trying to offend me by basically calling me a prisoner, but if he was, it didn't really work. Instead, I just became snarky.

"Well it didn't work very well now did it?" I retorted, my defensive mode kicking in. I knew he had every intention of making me go back to the cells, but I would rather stab my eyes with forks than go back there. He would have to fight me if he wanted me back there.

Kailen's eyes held anger in them, and for a second he stepped towards me threateningly. I really thought we were about to fight it would, then Cassie jumped in front of me, standing guard of me this time.

"Stay away from her!" She yelled, crossing her arms and looking up at Kailen. I was shocked to see this little girl talk to an alpha with such authority, and I was even more shocked to see Kailen step back reluctantly. He looked stunned that Cassie was standing guard of me, but he didn't make another advance towards me.

"Cassie, what are you doing?" He asked rather softly. Kailen crouched down in front of her, as if I wasn't there. Any trace of anger that he once had, was gone when he had his eyes on this girl. He was only focused on Cassie, and no one else.

"Protecting my friend!" She exclaimed. My heart went soft at that. This little child who barely knew me, was standing in between the alpha and I. Though, she must've been important to Kailen, seeing as he didn't seem like the type of alpha to tolerate disrespect from anyone, even a child.

He looked at me momentarily, and he chewed on his lip. He was definitely conflicted. Kailen wanted to throw me back in the cells no doubt, but Cassie didn't seem to want that.

"You can't hurt her, please Kailen." I couldn't see Cassie's face, but judging by the way Kailen was looking at her, she was pulling the puppy dog face. He scrunched his face up in defeat, before he pulled her into a hug.

"Alright," He sighed, "But you have to promise to stop running off. It's not safe."

"I promise."

I watched them hug, guessing that this had to be his little sister...Or maybe even his daughter. He clearly loved Cassie, enough that he was willing to drop his cold front for her.