Chapter Four

I wasn't the only one who had made little effort.

While all the girls were ready for a high society fashion show, the boys clearly hadn't received the memo about the dress code. Their idea of casual was jeans and some variation of a shirt. So, at least they were half-way presentable, which was better than I'd managed.

I'd pictured cavemen, but my idea of boys may have been skewed by my lacking socialisation with them while at school.

I linked arms with Jenny, who was angelic as always, and avoided the disapproving stares of my peers as they silently judged my outfit and presence. I wasn't in attendance for them, anyway. I wanted to see why Lisa was in such a spin over the new boys. They'd sat apart from us in the morning assembly, and it was hard to pick out one or two attractive faces from a sea of students. Besides, with so many girls raising themselves out of their seats to get a good look, I'd given it up as being too much trouble.

The hall was sparsely decorated. There was seldom a requirement for any theme or extensive decorating during the first event of the year. The student committee usually decided such things, and they had free rein over seasonal events. The teachers had more important things to worry about than streamers and tissue paper, and so opted into classy and as-little-effort-as-possible. The lights were low, music played through speakers from a laptop with some generic downloaded playlist of the latest songs, and coloured spotlights danced across the floor where everyone was too shy to break from their friends and start dancing.

'It looks like it's just a couple of classes so far,' Jenny observed as she casually glanced around the room. 'And they're all younger than us.'

'Lisa won't be happy,' I said. 'She likes them older.'

I remembered what she'd said about my dad, and the bile rose at the back of my throat again.

'Well,' Jenny looked again, 'I see a couple who look about our age. But they're definitely outnumbered.'

'They must be enjoying themselves.'

'Beth, they're probably terrified. I would be if we were in their position.'

'We might be, but Lisa would be in her element if she was this outnumbered by guys.'

'Excuse me,' one of the forbidden creatures stopped us. Jenny and I turned to look at him slowly. Our shock was apparent to see as it played across our faces, both unable to think why he'd dare to address us of all people. He was cute, with fair hair and a handsome smile. It was a nervous expression he wore, but still attractive. The boy greeted, 'Hi, I'm Charlie.'

'Beth,' I said, 'and this is Jenny. Nice to meet you. Can - uh - can we help you with something?'

'Well...' he rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. 'Look, I'm not good at dancing or anything. I was wondering if you wanted to hang out? You're the only two people in the room who haven't crowded around us yet. Some of the girls are kind of –'

'Crazy? Clingy? Frightening? Forward? Out to claim you for their own?' I asked.

'All of the above,' he laughed, clearly relieved to have found a couple of normal people. 'It's a little overwhelming.'

'Then,' I made a show of bowing to him, 'allow us to be your bodyguards for the evening. Right, Jen'?'

Jenny made an awkward giggling noise. She blushed profusely. Humiliated, she stumbled over her words as she explained, 'I'm sorry! I - I just - with boys - I –'

'She's shy,' I said. 'She probably fancies you.'

'Beth!'

'I'm kidding! Would you relax? You're fine with my dad. Talking to Charlie isn't any different, right?'