Chapter Twenty Six

I was openly mocked for the rest of the week by my friends.

Fortunately, Wyatt had heeded my warning. He didn't talk to me at all unless in his capacity as a teacher to fulfil his student placement obligations. Even then, there was some clear resentment in his tone. Well, I couldn't do much of anything about that. He could deal with his petty attitude in his own way.

Unfortunately, Wyatt's idea of getting over my refusal of him seemed to be by taking a shine to another of my friends.

And here I'd first thought Gideon was going to be the one pursuing all the impressionable eighteen-year-olds.

Georgia and I were a lot alike, except that she had far more patience for stupid people than I could muster. Although neither implied that their connection to one another was anything more than a polite friendship between a student and her peer, I couldn't help but suspect that there might be something more to it. I didn't think Georgia so stupid that she'd commit to anything before she'd graduated from school, and so I kept my opinions to myself. I just had to hope that Wyatt wouldn't pressure her for anything, otherwise I'd borrow my dad's steel-toe-capped boots and remind Wyatt what happened when he pushed his luck.

It didn't help that I could hardly spare the time for anyone but Jenny. I'd never seen my best friend so cast down. She wasn't just quiet; she was depressed. Charlie was breaking her heart with his silent treatment and I didn't know how long I could stand for it. Seriously, I had a good mind to give him a punch in the cheek for stringing her along the way that he had. If he didn't like her anymore, then the least that he could do was to be up front about it. That way, Jenny could deal with the hurt that came with it and move on naturally. She had a right to grieve for her crush properly without lingering between a vain, flickering hope and utter darkness.

It was as we were packing up for half-term that the news arrived.

Jenny turned here and there, looking for her phone when it sounded. She was taking much more care in her packing than I was. I didn't like that we had to take all our clothes home with us, but I supposed that it meant I could rotate out my clothes according to the demands of the weather. We'd also be gone for two weeks. It would be just my luck that I'd leave something behind in my room and, as soon as I got home, I'd wish that I'd brought it with me.

Jenny read the new message at speed, then again more slowly. After the third scan of it, she sat heavily on the bed, her eyes watering with tears she seemed determined not to shed. I didn't even ask before I snatched the phone out of her hand. The message was from Chantelle. It was the first communication Jenny had received since the party.

Goin 2 Switzerland 4 hlf trm. C+W not comin bk. Hav a gd brk!

'What does she mean that they're not coming back?' I asked. 'They've only been here two months! That's so stupid. What was even the point?'

'I don't know. Why Switzerland?' Jenny asked.

I recalled what Gideon had told me. 'It's where William's sister goes to university. I guess they could be seeing if there's a school out there that'll take them on, but it's totally ridiculous. She must be wrong. Charlie wouldn't just go and not tell you.'

'But he has. It is what it is, Beth. I can't do anything about it.'

At least Lisa and Chrissy had enough sense between them to keep quiet. It was for the best. If they'd said anything insensitive, I might have accidentally knocked their trunks down the stairs on the way out of the dorm. I hugged Jenny tightly, hoping that the embrace could express how bad I felt for her in place of words. It was hard to say anything that wouldn't come across as patronising.