Chapter Sixty Three

I didn't tell the others about Madame Courtenay's warning.

Things were falling into place for all of us. Jenny and Charlie were finally together, Lisa was recovering from her ordeal, and we were working through our exams steadily without the need for any distractions. All I could do was throw myself into practice, spending every waking moment at the piano or with my guitar in my hands. Many would have said that cramming right until the deadline was a waste of time, that I ought to have taken my studies more seriously all along, but I was determined to finally take charge of my destiny. The last, and perhaps only, thing that I could control in my life was my preparedness for my assessment.

I intended to give it my all.

Still, in those moments when I wasn't lost in the throes of a symphony, I thought about Will. I regretted not telling his mother to pass on a more encouraging message; one which might give him some clue as to my feelings about him. Feelings that I was still confused about. I'd realised that I'd never known what love might be, or if this was it. All I knew was that there was a chance that he was out there somewhere in the world with someone else, thinking badly of me, and wishing never to see me again. The very idea made my chest ache and brought stinging, prickling tears to my eyes.

The only person who might have understood my plight was Jenny. She'd been separated from Charlie for months and had every reason to question his feelings for her. Unfortunately, she was busy making up for lost time with her new boyfriend, stealing kisses in corridors and on the grounds after lights out. It was impossible to catch her alone anymore for a heart-to-heart chat about my romantic problems.

I couldn't blame her.

If Will had been the one to step out of that car instead of Charlie, I'd have been doing the same.

I was alone in the music room when the door creaked open. I glanced up from my sheet music to behold Meg. She lingered nervously before stepping all the way inside and crossed the room to perch beside me on the narrow piano stool.

'Are you okay?' she asked.

'Fine,' I lied. 'I think pretty soon I'll be tapping out my notes in my sleep, but other than that...'

Meg fidgeted. 'I know you're probably not even thinking about it right now, and I would understand if you said no... But, would you straighten my hair for me before prom? And help me with my make-up and everything?'

'Oh.' I didn't know what I'd been expecting. I usually helped Meg get ready for events, but it was unusual for her to approach me and ask first. 'Yeah, I can start on it earlier for you. I've got my recital in the morning, but I'll have time. Are you sure?'

'I want to look good for the last party. Lisa's always -'

'Lisa doesn't get to decide what you do with your hair,' I said. 'If you're just asking because of her, then my answer's gonna be no.'

The door slammed open and crashed into the wall behind, rattling on its hinges as the sound echoed around us. Lisa sighed and leaned back out into the corridor to yell, 'I found them!'

It looked like my practise was officially over.

'Did you chase Meg in here?' I accused. 'Lis', you need to stop telling her what to do with her hair.'

'I wasn't trying to tell her what to do with her hair. Anyway, we're going to a fitting,' Lisa said. 'And you don't need to do any hair or make-up for the prom. We're booked into a salon.'

Chrissy soon joined us, dragging Jenny and Georgia with her. 'Did you tell them?'

'Yes, the salon,' I repeated in a bored tone. 'I don't -'