Chapter Forty Three

We were three weeks in when a familiar face reappeared.

The burgeoning relationship between Gideon and the teacher he'd so actively pursued had ended. He returned with a sob story and claimed that he wished the woman well, but I couldn't help but think she'd dodged a bullet, and wondered if her bank balance had been too low for him to consider her a worthy partner. It disgusted me to think my mother had recommended someone like that to come to my school, that she'd thrown him into my life and the lives of the people around me. If she'd had any idea the sort of man he was, she'd have seen to having him kicked out of all polite society using her husband's connections.

It was only now that I realised how awful it must have been for William to spend Christmas with my mother. She'd brought the man back into his life, too, and I knew that William resented her for it. Ignorant though she might have been of Gideon's character, that didn't make it any less difficult for William to face Gideon every day at school.

While Gideon basked in the glory of being a tragic hero, one whose heart had been broken and fortunes had been poor, but was ready to rally his spirits in the pursuit of supporting his students, I did everything in my power to avoid him. I knew better than to trust a single word out of his mouth, and it killed me to know that I couldn't publicly reveal everything that he'd done in the past. I hated the idea of my classmates clamouring to be in his company, knowing that any one of them might be his next target and victim.

I was proud of my efforts to stay out of Gideon's way until he cornered me after a music lesson. I'd applied myself to my studies in his absence and outside of school hours. Even if I would never be a rock star or concert pianist, I could still ensure that I passed my exams. Besides, he might have been a git of the highest order, but he had been right to advise me I should pursue music if it made me happy.

'I was hoping,' he said, his hand outstretched to the wall so I couldn't walk by, 'that you'd want to continue practicing with me after school hours. I miss the time we spent together.'

I bet you did, you creep.

'Sorry. I have exams coming up and everything. It's hard to make time for all the stuff I want to do. If I can work it into my schedule, I'll let you know.'

'It's a shame to let your talents go to waste.'

I forced a smile. 'They're not going to waste. I'm working on them just as much as everything else. Besides, I just want to be able to get a job when this is over. There'll be loads of time for music in the school holidays and in my free time.'

Gideon tilted his head and reached his hand out as if to touch my face. I knocked it away without thinking. The idea of his fingers on my skin was repulsive to me. It was like if he put his hands on me then I was going to be tainted by him.

He stood up straight, offended by what I'd done. 'Have I overstepped a boundary?'

'Uh –'

'I thought we were friends, Beth.'

'I just think we should be a teacher and student. Rumours, you know? I wouldn't want your job to be in danger again.'

'That's true,' he said. 'But I don't think that's actually the reason you're being like this. Has something happened? Do you want to talk to me about it?'

'Nothing's happened. You're being paranoid.'

'I'm not sure I am. Beth, if –'

'I said it was nothing, Mr Wickham. I need to get to my next class. Can I go?'

'If you insist, Miss Bennett.' He held up his hands in surrender and stepped aside.

The man wasn't stupid, and I was a terrible actress. It didn't take a genius to figure out that there was something unspoken going on and that my opinion of him had changed. Rather than stay and risk revealing everything that I knew, I hurried out of the room while trying to make it seem that I was merely worried about being late for my next lesson.