Chapter Forty

A few stern words from my mother were nothing compared to the blazing row I'd had with William. Neither of us spoke when we arrived. He barely even looked in my direction during my dressing-down. When I went to bed, I was glad of some time alone. At least, I was alone until the early hours when Georgia crawled back into my bed. I didn't dare to talk to her about what had happened. I didn't want anyone to know that such a creep had been interested in me.

After all the things William had said, I saw that Wyatt wasn't all that bad in general. I still wouldn't choose him even if he were the last man on the planet. I'd much rather be with Freddie. The only downside to Frederick Lambert was that he and William were related. There'd be no avoiding the boy if I were in a relationship with his cousin.

Perhaps it was time that I swore off boys and committed to a life of celibacy.

'What are you doing?' Georgia asked when she finally stirred in the morning.

I was on my knees in front of my case, folding my clothes neatly, happy to be back in my comfortable jeans instead of the dress Freddie had bought me. I intended to keep the outfit as the sole reminder of the few pleasant moments I'd enjoyed in Paris, but I fully intended to leave everything else behind, including William Darcy.

'Packing. I'm going to see Dad for a few days before school starts.'

'Our flight isn't until –'

'I know. I can't be here, Georgia. Not without committing a major crime or an international incident. You can stay on if you want.'

'No way,' she said. 'If I have to spend another day with Wyatt's sweaty hand holding mine, I'm going to freak out.'

I smirked. 'I told –'

'Don't even say it.'

'Come on, you have to let me have this one. I knew he was no good for you.'

'At least I tried to like him,' she said. 'But yes, you were right. So, I'll go back with you. That way your Mum won't be so mad at us. Do you want me to tell her it was my idea?'

'Good plan,' I said. 'If she thinks that I'm just trying to rebel, she'll try to play the strict parent and demand that we stay.'

'I'll break up with Wyatt while I'm at it. I don't want him coming back thinking we're a thing.'

It was a productive morning. For Georgia, at least. She wasn't at all gentle in dumping Wyatt. He didn't appear to accept it at first. When she slapped him, he finally got the message. I didn't laugh, no matter how much I wanted to. I was still reeling from my night out and the way William had treated me.

Mum wasn't happy with us abandoning her and her new husband, not when she was trying to prove that she was happy with the pompous old fart. When I made it sound like I was accompanying Georgia as a responsible friend and reminded her of how influential and important Georgia's family were, she came around to the idea of us flying without supervision.

Freddie offered to drive us both to the airport. When we left the house with our luggage in tow, he was leaning against his car in a pair of dark sunglasses.

'Hungover?' I asked.

'You have no idea. How are you not?' he grumbled. 'You had twice the amount I did.'

'I had a sobering shock before I went to bed. Helped to get it out of my system.'

I contemplated telling both Georgia and Freddie what had been said in the hopes of cheering them both up, but I stopped myself just as William left the house. Silently, he took our cases and loaded them into the car. I couldn't tell if he wanted to be helpful or wanted to hint that we should hurry and leave. Without a word to any of us, he finished the task and stalked back into the house, slamming the door behind him.