Chapter Thirty Six

Freddie was in constant contact with me. If he wasn't holding my hand, he had his arm around my waist or shoulders. When we got to the top of the Eiffel Tower, I discovered that I wasn't a fan of heights. Rather than being annoyed, he thought it was adorable. At least, that was what he said. If he was frustrated with my minor panic attack, then he didn't let on. I blushed profusely while we shuffled around, taking in the scenery without getting too near the railings. It wasn't like we were going to fall, but I had the irrational fear that one powerful gust would topple the entire structure with us on it.

Freddie was determined to document the excursion, taking pictures on his phone as I sat on steps and posed in front of fountains. It was a whirlwind, and I had a hard time taking everything in. I could see why people spent a few days in the city. There was no way a person could appreciate it in a few hours.

'Are you hungry?' he asked at last.

We were sat on a park bench and resting our feet. I was so happy he hadn't made me wear out a pair of heels, because I'd have destroyed my ankles in them already. I bumped my shoulder against his. 'I could go for a crepe or something.'

'Light eater?'

'Light wallet,' I corrected.

'I'll pay for –'

'Everything, apparently. I can afford a sandwich, you know?'

'I was thinking that we could go to a little bistro I know. And then, if you're not too full, there's a club that plays decent music.'

'Are you basically asking me out on a date?' I asked slyly.

'This whole day has been a date, mon ange.'

'Oh.'

I was flustered and felt foolish for thinking we'd been out as friends. Freddie smirked, and kissed me tenderly on my temple, and I felt my embarrassment melt away. There were no fireworks, but it wasn't unpleasant. Well, we hadn't known each other long. I'd never really believed in love at first sight, so I was fine with taking my time to let things develop.

The bistro in question wasn't too romantic, but not stuffed full of families either. The atmosphere was relaxed, with couples and small groups of friends chatting among themselves. I didn't have a huge appetite and made sure that my meal lasted while Freddie enjoyed his extra courses. He was so toned that I couldn't believe he could eat so much. Then again, being so rich, he probably had his own gym in his house. He'd work it all off in a single morning. The idea of him dripping with sweat while he lifted weights was certainly enough to chase any thoughts of William from my mind.

'Do you know Charlie Bingley?' I asked conversationally.

'William's friend? Yeah, he and his sister have been hanging around him for years. Charlie's a good guy, if a little stupid sometimes.'

'He was going to our school, but apparently he's in Switzerland now,' I said as if I didn't know much about it.

Freddie took a slow sip of his drink. It was as though he was using the time it bought him so he could reflect on what he was about to say. Maybe because he wasn't sure that I could be trusted with the information. He set down the glass and confessed, 'I heard that he was hanging out with a bad crowd there.'

'In Switzerland?'

'Non. At the school. I don't know the details, or names, but William made it clear that the company he was keeping wasn't... approprié. So, Charlie's parents thought it was best to move him away so he could get a bit of perspective. I think William went with him so he wouldn't feel lonely.'

It took everything I had to remain in my seat rather than storming out of the bistro, finding William, and pushing him from the top of the Eiffel Tower.

Who was he to say that Charlie hadn't been in good company?

There was nothing wrong with us!

I folded my hands in my lap and forced myself to keep up a calm façade. Slowly and steadily, I asked, 'Why was it up to William to decide that?'

'That's just the way he is. He's overprotective of his friends, I suppose. That's not always a bad thing. All I know is that his attachment to a certain girl wouldn't have met the approval of his family.'

I was going to kill him with my bare hands.

I hated him!

Him and his stupid tight shirt!

'Mon ange, are you okay?' Freddie asked.

I wasn't going to blame him for what happened. Freddie didn't even go to our school. If all he'd heard was William's lies, then he wouldn't know the other side of the story. I didn't know if I should have put Freddie straight with the facts. I couldn't upset him by causing a rift in his family. Still, I didn't know if I could hold back if I was faced with that total git back at the house. I was going to have to put off returning for as long as possible.

I'd always thought that William would want his friend to be happy. That he might put his own feelings aside about me and the rest of my friends. If only it meant that Charlie and Jenny could be together. A small part of me had thought him capable of at least some basic human feeling.

He'd totally misled me, there.

'You mentioned a club, right?' I asked through clenched teeth.

'Oui, one of the best in Paris.'

'Good. Because I really need a drink.'