Chapter Sixty Two

'Uh - morning?' I greeted with uncertainty.

'Why aren't you in class, young lady?' the man asked.

'I was just on my way -'

'May I have a moment with this girl?' Madame Courtenay asked him sweetly. 'I would like very much to have the opinion of a student regarding our plans.'

'Of course. This classroom looks to be free...' He motioned to a nearby door.

'Ten minutes should do,' she told him.

As soon as I was inside the room, she shut him out, and motioned through the glass that he ought to find some other employment for his time. I had a funny feeling that she wasn't pleased to see me. I'd not exactly left her house on good terms at Christmas. I thought if my mother had been with us, then she could smooth things over or endure whatever punishment I was about to receive. I had slapped Will, after all. I couldn't imagine that his great-aunt was too thrilled about that.

She also took a disturbing amount of interest in his life, what he was doing, and with whom he was doing it.

'It's nice to see you again,' I lied.

'You must know why I'm here,' she said.

'Acoustics?'

Madame Courtenay bristled. 'No. That is just an excuse to come here with Mrs Darcy.'

'Well, I haven't seen Wyatt in weeks, so -'

'Do not speak to me of that boy,' she snapped. 'I can do well without his simpering today. No, it is you that I came here to see.'

I blinked. 'What?'

'It is pardon, you ignorant child. Oh, when I think that I allowed a creature such as you into my house - anyway - that is not the reason I have come here. I need you to confirm or deny some terrible news that has reached me.'

'Is it that I snogged Freddie?' I asked. I knew it would annoy her. I wanted it to annoy her. She was wasting my time and the sooner I chased her off, the better.

'I shall be blunt,' she said, her eye twitching at the effort it took to maintain a mildly civil tone. Emphasis on the mildly. I wasn't sure that Madame Courtenay had attempted anything close to civility with anyone she deemed inferior to her in her entire life. 'I heard a rumour that, while in Italy, you came to an understanding with my dear William.'

'A what?'

'That you are dating him, you foolish girl! I couldn't believe that he would throw himself away on an impoverished girl like you. I had to come immediately to this place to make sure it was a lie.'

'If you couldn't believe it, then it makes me wonder what the point was in you coming here,' I said.

'I wanted to look into your eyes as you denied it. There's no way it could be true!'

'Even if the rumour existed in the first place, which I don't believe,' I added, 'then by coming here, doesn't it make it look like you think it's true?'

'Even if it existed?!' she bellowed. 'It's clearly something that you started! No doubt you are trying to make it appear as if you have enough standing in society to catch his eye. Make no mistake, you are so insignificant to that boy, that he would never look your way!'

'Okay. If that's how you feel,' I said with an off-handed shrug.

'Then deny it!'

'Why?' I almost laughed. 'This is so stupid. You just said he wouldn't even look at me, so that should be enough for you.'