Chapter Thirty One

Before the arrival of the boys, Netherfield Academy had hardly been a hub of activity, yet it was setting new records in the Olympic sport of being dull.

Gideon seemed to be happy enough in his situation. Nervous, that was obvious, but looking forward to a change of pace. I was glad that I could offer my sincerest wishes for his future happiness. It was difficult to get that point across while Lisa was wailing at my side, clutching at Gideon's hand, and begging him not to go, but at least I'd tried. I was even trying with Wyatt and Georgia whenever I spotted either of them. Try, in this case, being not shaking Georgia by the shoulders until she saw sense whenever we were in the same room.

As we neared winter break, I'd convinced Jenny that my plan was an amazing one, even though I was losing some faith in it by the time it came to execute our little plot. Her mother had been easy to convince. Ms Ayers was always up for a little adventure, and skiing during Christmas appealed to her greatly. She'd tried to invite me along, but I'd declined. If I had to face Charlie after all the trouble he'd caused, I was liable to break his nose. It would take more strength than Jenny could muster to hold me back from showing the boy exactly what I thought of the way he'd treated her.

Besides, I couldn't have attended even if I'd wanted to.

I had to spend Christmas in Paris.

It didn't matter to my parents that I was eighteen and had every legal right to refuse their demands; my father insisted that I spend time with my mother. He was a fair man and thought that familial ties were important, thus; they were worth maintaining. I wanted nothing from my mother, and I certainly had nothing to offer her. To me, it was better to put an end to the connection between us before we grew to resent one another. Sadly, that wasn't a decision I was permitted to make while I was still living in my father's house and while she was paying for my education. It would have to wait until I was independent and got a say in what I did with my own life.

The only upside was that I wouldn't suffer alone.

Wyatt was coming with me.

Somehow, he'd convinced Georgia to be a part of this farcical celebration and her parents had agreed. I suspected that they'd used me to convince them that she was in safe hands because no parent in their right mind would allow their teenage daughter to spend an important holiday overseas in the company of strangers. Not if their almost-but-not-really-boyfriend was amongst said strangers. I knew that she wanted to spend time with him, and perhaps prove to me that I was wrong to assume that they wouldn't work out, but she was only going to hurt herself by stepping into the middle of my unconventional family drama.

My mother wasn't a woman I'd wish on anyone, least of all my friends.

The flight to France was painfully silent, but it was also a mercy. I knew I wouldn't have a moment's peace once we landed, and I revelled in every moment we spent in the air. My stomach clenched as we descended, and I spared a glance in Georgia's direction. She seemed nervous, and Wyatt had placed his hand over hers. I'd promised to try, but I couldn't help but find it creepy. I didn't know if it was the man or the age difference that I disapproved. It may well have been both. Had that been the case, then I was doubly glad that I'd never tested the waters with Gideon. Doing so would have made me a hypocrite and likely cost him his job. I had to wonder at Wyatt and his willingness to risk himself for the sake of being with Georgia. That said, I didn't know that he took being a teacher all that seriously. He spoke often about his connections and recommendations from others. I got the feeling that he planned to rely heavily on such beneficial relationships to find his way to a comfortable, easy life.

It was my first time meeting my latest stepfather, and my first impression was that he was entirely ridiculous. Monsieur Courtenay exuded wealth. He greeted me with a hug and a peck on each cheek while he wafted around expensive cologne. I wasn't a connoisseur of designer clothes, but I estimated that his outfit was worth more than most people earned in a year. I didn't know if I was meant to hug him back and so froze up, my spine rigid and my arms pressed flat against my sides until he released me.