six

Leaning against the faded blue counter in the relatively crowded cafe, I crinkle my nose at Nadine as she tells me about the new hire she's already had to let go.

"They just don't make them like they used to," She jokes, playfully swatting my arm on her way to the pastry case. "Want something?" She asks as she grabs herself a croissant.

"I'm actually going to get a sandwich once Gem gets here," I explain over the chatter of the customers. "Was the kid really that bad?" A twinge of guilt passes through me as Nadine lets out a big sigh and I notice the slight dark circles under her eyes.

"Miss Emma..." She shakes her head, and clucks her tongue. "He dropped the flour, not once, not twice, but three times."

Cringing internally, I hold back a giggle. If there's anything Nadine is a stickler about, it's being careful with the ingredients. Spill a bag of flour to the floor, and you'll be cleaning up little specks of it for the next few months, even when you think you've cleaned it all up.

"Emmy!" I hear her before I see her, and turn to the loud shouting accompanied by the soft jingle of bells at the door. Everyone else in the cafe turns just as I do - leave it to Gemma to make a grand entrance.

"Gemma," I throw my arms around her in a tight embrace, noticing her tan skin and oddly natural blonde hair. "How was Costa Rica?"

"Hi Nadine," Gemma blows an air kiss over the counter. "Absolutely amazing, although it would've been better with my best friend." She glares at me pointedly and Nadine laughs before excusing herself to the back room.

"I'll put a chicken salad in the toaster for you, Emma. Gemma, dear, what would you like?" Nadine calls over her shoulder as she leaves.

"Make that two, please!" Gemma shouts before dragging me to the only empty table in the far corner. "Tell me everything - how's the job? Any cute co-workers?" I raise my brows at her and she lets out a giggle. "You know where my priorities lie, don't act so surprised."

Ignoring her question about date-able co-workers and how my mind briefly flashes to Adam's bright smile, I tell her how much I like the job and the work I'm doing. "There are two women there, but they don't like me much." I roll my eyes, recounting the numerous snippy comments Tori or Lizzie have made to me over the course of the past two weeks. Jess, at reception, is friendly enough, but pretty busy keeping up with Shannon's schedule.

"Why?" Gemma's eyes widen hungrily as a young girl with a pink scrunchy in her hair sets down our plates. "Ugh, yum." Her stomach rumbles loudly to emphasize her comment.

Biting my lip, I consider how much to reveal - Gemma isn't one to hold her opinions back and I'm not sure I'm ready to deal with them just yet. Noticing my silence, Gemma squints at me suspiciously. "Why, Emma?"

"So, obviously you remember Beau Lewis, right?" The words tumble out of my mouth quickly. "Well, he's back into the music industry and his first single was a song called 'Emma.' Naturally, articles came out with my face on them, so I think they just recognize me from those, is all."

The articles. Somehow, the tabloids have already caught wind of the possible rekindling of our relationship, and more and more articles have come about, making my face the star of numerous gossip columns before I can even figure out what this thing between us will actually be. As if I wasn't doubting getting back with Beau enough already, the publicity makes me even more uneasy. Here I am trying to start my own career, the last thing I need is to be swept up in celebrity drama again.