thirty-four

EMMA

Beau is still asleep when I wake, our legs tangled in the smooth hotel sheets, my torso held captive under his heavy arm. I lightly trace the skull on his forearm, up to the spiderweb in the crook of his elbow, back down to the roses of his inner arm, wondering how much getting a tattoo would hurt. I smile to myself, eyeing the Latin quote just under his ear, and conclude that it must not be so horrible.

His dark brows are furrowed tightly over his eyes, creasing his forehead, even in sleep. Gently, I smooth the skin there, just barely reaching from my position under his arm. He smells like smoke, a scent I've never been able to understand, as I've never seen him actually light a cigarette. Nestling into his neck, I inhale the slightly sweaty smell of his hair, a reminder of last nights bathroom sexcapades.

Despite having no audience, I hide my blush with my hands, already imagining what Gemma will say when she finds out. Of all the things she's done that I haven't, I would've sworn public sex was one we'd never have in common.

Beau stirs beside me, grumbling incoherently as he turns over, releasing me from his grasp. As carefully as I can, I slip from the plush mattress and around Zeus's makeshift dog bed to the side table. Zeus watches me, his round, brown eyes nearly begging me to bring him outside.

"Your dad will take you out soon." I promise, quietly dialing the main lobby. "Hi, Emma Carter in Suite A. I wanted to confirm that my package will be brought up tonight," I watch Beau for any indication that he's awake.

"Yes, let me just check." The woman mutters as she types loudly. "We have it set for nine o'clock, is that still the time you'd like?"

I quickly run through the show schedule and confirm before hanging up, excitement building in my belly. I hope Beau likes the guitar - even if I did mess it up a little. Giving Zeus a little pat, I tip toe to the bathroom, clicking the door softly behind me.

Already naked, I stare at myself in the mirror, eyes lingering on the little bruises on my breasts, the red mark shaped suspiciously like a handprint on my butt. Biting my lip, I trail my fingers over the marks, a giggle creeping out before I can help myself.

Right as I catch myself by flinging a hand over my mouth, I hear Beau's cell blaring out his ringtone. I rush towards the sound, hoping to get to it before it wakes him. With another show tonight, Beau needs all the rest he can get before he performs again.

Plus, it's finally April tenth.

But by the time I'm out of the bathroom, Beau is sitting up against the headboard, rubbing his eyes groggily as he grunts into the phone.

He lets out a long yawn, finally raising his gaze to me. Suddenly aware of my nakedness, I blush, barely covering my chest and nether-regions with my hands. Beau grins his Cheshire Cat smile, standing and pulling my hands out of the way.

"I don't know, Beck." He mutters between planting gentle kisses along my neck. My eyes flutter open at the name and I take a step back to watch Beau's expression.

His lips turn down slightly as he pulls me close to him again, fingers trailing up and down my spine. A delicious shiver runs up my back but I push off of Beau's chest and return to the bathroom.

Letting the hot shower stream work out the knots in my back, I close my eyes and think of last night - not including the scenes from the bathroom. Rey was drunk: so drunk that she couldn't stop staring at Beau once we returned from the restroom, a mix of confusion and hurt in her eyes. But she tried - I will give her that, asking questions about the lake house and Gemma. When I tried to return the favor though, I mostly got half sentences and tipsy giggles.