twenty-eight

EMMA

Dropping my work bag in the entry way of my condo, I simultaneously kick off the pumps I wore today, flexing my toes once they're free. Shannon is in the building this week and while I'm sure she couldn't care less about my footwear, I wanted to look good in front of the boss.

Which may not even matter, I sigh, dropping my keys in the bowl I'd designated for just that purpose, Because she asked me to lunch tomorrow, out of the office.

This is the first time Shannon has come to me with such an offer, and after Tori's apology and Jess's offer to help, I'm a bit worried that Shannon might know more than I want her to. Nadine didn't think I had anything to worry about when I'd asked for her advice, but of course, in her eyes, any company would be lucky to have me.

If I do end up fired, well, at least Nadine will be happy to have me back.

My thoughts shift towards Beau and the state of his poor face. Renewed anger flows through me as I imagine Jace's smug smirk in my mind - of course it had been him to leak the story. I'm surprised neither Beau or I saw it coming.

Looking ahead to Boston, I also know that weekend is the same as Beau's birthday. He didn't mention it and I'd bet anything that he never will if I don't, simply allowing the day to pass him by without anyone making a fuss about it.

Well, that's too bad for him. Because since the day I pried the information out of him, I've woken up every April tenth with him on my mind. There will be no forgetting of his birthday this year.

On my way to the kitchen to cook up some dinner, I open the coat closet in the hall. Already overflowing with boxes I couldn't force myself to unpack and some other items like winter jackets, boots, and my vacuum, the closet pops open the second I turn the knob. Pushing my heavy coats aside, I reach to the very back and grasp the cool neck of the guitar.

Pulling it out all the way takes some effort but finally I've got the instrument in both hands. I run my eyes over the neck, surprisingly still in tact after my tantrum, before wincing at the scratches and dents in the body. I still remember the gala we went to - the one where I placed a silent bid for the guitar, a donation from one of Beau's favorite 80's rock bands. And there's no forgetting what came after - the heartbreak and pain that led me to smashing the guitar against my coffee table - the way I'd seen Beau do on stage during his concerts.

I chuckle, remembering the look on Nadine's face when I borrowed her truck to bring the table to the dump. Old and beaten to begin with, the table nearly split in two under my rage.

It's a miracle the guitar survived. I lean it against the wall in my living room carefully so that I won't forget it when I'm packing for Boston.

It may not be in pristine condition, but a little damage never bothered Beau anyways.

***

I check my watch and then the clock on the wall that I'd hung on my first day. As I knew they would, they read the same time: five minutes to go until I leave with Shannon.

Adam is sitting on the edge of my desk, wearing his normal, cheerful grin, a stack of notes in his hands. "I don't get why you're so nervous, it has to be good news. She wouldn't make a big deal of it if it wasn't, right?"