thirty-seven

BEAU

I lean back in the elevator, watching Emma as she shifts foot to foot anxiously. I need to meet Beck back in the lobby but I wanted to walk Emma up to the suite myself. Since we got to the hotel, Emma has been suspiciously quiet, a mischievous little smile on her face. I keep catching her observing me, a devious glint in her eyes, but every time I question her she just shakes her head. Let her have her fun, I think to myself, just hoping my conversation with Beck is quick so I can get her out of those clothes.

As the elevator pings with each floor, my phone rings, Jackson's Caller ID flashing on the screen. Jesus Christ. What now?

"Yeah?" I ask, giving Emma a half smirk and poking her in the ribs. She twists away from me, a giggle escaping her otherwise tightly-sealed lips.

"Mr. Lewis, a man is outside your room. He says he's meeting with you?" Jackson speaks quickly and I imagine him placing his hand on Beck's chest, keeping him from entering the suite. The thought makes me grin even wider.

I look to Emma quickly and my smile drops. Outside my room? I told Beck I'd meet him in the lobby. Why doesn't anyone fucking listen to me?

"One second." I grunt to Jackson, checking my screen and seeing Rocco's name. Banging my head against the wall, I hit ignore and return my attention to Jackson. One shit show at a time.

"Why is Rocco calling me?" Emma asks seconds later, nudging me with her elbow and handing me her phone.

Are you fucking kidding me?

"Jackson, one second." I snap, taking Emma's phone from her hand roughly. I give her an apologetic look and hold her phone to my ear, still hearing Jackson scolding Beck through my own speakerphone.

"What?" I bark at Rocco.

"Beau, did you see Rey after the show?" Rocco's voice is rushed and I can hear Scott yelling in the background like a jackass.

"Why?" I rush a hand through my hair as the elevator stops and a crowd of people loads on, one man holding the doors open for someone down the hall. Emma pushes closer to my side to make room.

"Mr. Lewis, what would you like me to tell Beck?" Jackson's voice is stern and the other passengers hush, eyeing Emma and me more intently than before. Recognition dawns on one of the younger woman's faces and I wince, lowering my gaze.

"No ones seen her and she's not answering her phone." Rocco says seriously.

"Mr. Lewis?" Jackson repeats at the same time. Emma stares up at me, her expression both confused and concerned and I feel my mind spinning in a million directions.

Fucking Rey and Beck. I let out a huff of hot air, cursing them both under my breath.

"Fuck just let him in my room." I snap at Jackson, "I'll be up in a minute," I ignore the scowls from the older couple in the elevator. If I didn't have other things on my plate, I'd tell them to screw themselves, too.

"Sir I don't think that's a good idea." Jackson warns and I can't contain my agitation any longer.

"Just do it!" I hang up and sigh when I realize I'm yelling. Emma is blushing as the guy who held the elevator clears his throat accusingly.

"How is Rey my problem right now, Rocco?" I ask as the elevator slows to a stop and the group finally leaves, shooting glares over their shoulders at Emma and me. Meeting their eyes, I throw my arm over Emma's shoulder and hold her close to my side. The doors slide closed and the elevator resumes its painfully slow ascent.