thirty

BEAU

Sneaking my arm from under Emma's mop of blonde hair, I quietly slip out of bed and grab Zeus's leash from the side table. Instantly, he jumps to his feet with a soft humph, stomping his front paws in excited anticipation.

"Sh, boy," I whisper, stepping into my jeans that had been discarded to the floor. Smirking, I let visions of Emma's surprise take over my mind before finally kneeling to tie my boots. I stand and check Emma to make sure I didn't disturb her. Despite my efforts, her brow creases in her sleep before she finally stretches out and opens her eyes with a yawn.

Maybe even in sleep she can sense when I'm around, the way I know on some subconscious level when I'm with her.

"You're leaving?" Her voice cracks the way it sometimes does in the mornings.

Now my own brows furrow as I cock my head at her. "Only for a little." Brushing a strand of hair from her eyes, I mumble, "I'll be back before you're even up again."

Emma's dainty hand clasps onto mine tightly so I can't pull it from her cheek. Her lids flutter closed as she lets out a sigh, her chest rising and falling heavily as she almost slips back to sleep.

"Don't," She breathes softly.

My lips turn up at the corners. Today is going to be one of the hardest I've had in awhile. Knowing it doesn't make facing it any easier. Some force nearly pulls my body back into bed with Emma, longing to wrap itself in her limbs and stay safe there.

If only. Dr. Dex would call that a distraction.

I trail a finger up Emma's exposed rib cage, watching the goose bumps rise with my touch, her breath quicken at the contact.

So beautiful.

"Beck called after I saw him. He knows I'm here now and wants me to reconsider getting to know him." Part of me hopes she's already asleep again, too far into her own mind to hear my rambling.

Of course, she is immediately alert - picking her head up and watching me intently, brown eyes wide with concern.

"Will you?" Her fingers twist her blonde strands into a knot on the top of her head as she sits up straighter. "Reconsider?"

"No." I shake my head, sensing her disappointment. I know she doesn't understand and there have been many times when I've felt like a dick complaining to her - she lost her parents and grandmother and would do anything to get them back. And here I am, pissed that my own brother wants to talk to me?

"He's your brother." Emma gives it one last try, tracing the dates on my knuckles instead of looking me in the eye.

Gently removing my hand from hers, I stand again and hook Zeus's leash to his collar. The old boy whines loudly, using a paw to scratch at my shin. Rolling my eyes to the ceiling, I curse my shrink for recommending a dog - he had to know somehow that I'd find the one animal truly as impatient as I am.

Silently grabbing the rest of my things, I halt at the door, hoping I can make Emma understand somehow. I turn to her and find her still staring at her fingers, wrinkling and then smoothing the sheets over and over.

"Brother or not - it doesn't mean anything to me now." I sigh, running a hand over my hair. "Because it never meant anything to him back when I needed it to."