ten

BEAU

"So what do you think?" I take my eyes off the road for a second to look at Emma, in the passenger seat of my old Mustang. Her blonde hair whips around her face but her eyes are protected by the blindfold I made her wear. Catching sight of her with her vision obscured makes my stomach tense. Not just for the sexual implications, either. I have no idea how she'll react to the surprise I have in store, and the thought makes me nervous. Dr. Dex would've called the surprise "impulsive" but I didn't give him the chance to, keeping him out of my plans entirely.

With the tour only a week away, I've been looking for ways to show Emma how much she means to me before I go. I'm not sure it gets much grander than this, I only hope it wasn't just a grand mistake.

"I think," She huffs, pouting just enough that I get the urge to take her bottom lip between my teeth and tug, "That I can't see anything."

I roll my eyes and turn the radio down. "Silly girl, you were supposed to be listening," I had been trying to distract her from the surprise by showing her some of my new music. If there's one thing in the world that I'm confident about, it's my music - I know I'm good at it, as cocky as it sounds, and up until Emma, playing was the only way I could ever feel like me... Just Beau.

Even still, waiting for her reaction is hard. I've never cared if anyone liked my stuff before, and now, all of a sudden, I do.

"I know," Emma leans her head back against the seat, a smile playing on her full lips. "It was really great, Beau. It seemed more... you, if that makes sense."

The way she knows me so well never ceases to amaze me. I haven't been the easiest person to get to know, but she picks up on everything, something that makes me feel both uncomfortable and... loved.

I take the chance to admire her when I pull to a halt at a stop sign. The constellations of her freckles twinkle back at me as she grins, lips perfectly pink and soft, and even though I can't see them, I know her brown eyes are giving me that look. The one that shows me exactly how she feels, without using any words. It's amazing that this girl has no idea she can bring me to my knees, with just that look alone.

"I don't have the label or the other guys dictating what I do anymore, I feel like I can finally make the music I want to make, you know?" I watch her stick her hand out the window, catching the breeze between her long fingers.

Fuck, she's so beautiful.

She nods her head slowly, careful to not dislodge her blindfold, and turns to me, even though she can't see me. "I'm really glad you went solo, it seems like you're so much happier this way."

The comment takes me by surprise and I let the thought stir in my mind. It's true, going solo has made things better for me, but I wouldn't have even gotten the chance if I hadn't gotten sober. Determined not to dwell on the past, at least not today, I reach over and give her thigh a squeeze.

"You make me happier, too," I smirk, "Does that mean you'll come with me on tour?" I'm only half teasing - I know she won't come and I don't blame her at all, but part of me still wishes she would.

"You know I'll miss you," Her long fingers graze my forearm, sending goosebumps up my skin, "But I really do have to stay here and work." She turns away from me, still absentmindedly drawing circles over my tattoos, and mumbles, "Besides, you'll have Rey to keep you company. It'll be good to have a friend,"