seven

BEAU

I'm only half listening, picking at the chipped nail polish on my left hand, as Rey rambles about some drama with an ex, when my phone rings. Slipping it out of my pocket, I smile like an idiot as my favorite picture of Emma fills my screen.

I'd snapped it one early morning back when we were together - I couldn't sleep but couldn't make myself wake her, looking so innocent and peaceful as she snored softly. She wasn't wearing any makeup and my camera picked up every beautiful freckle on her face. She was always pestering me about changing it. Too bad, I always said, my phone, my rules. It's not like I hadn't noticed the picture she had of me looking stuffy in dress pants and an expensive button up as her contact photo.

Putting one finger up to tell Rey to hold on, I ignore her frown and walk towards the master bedroom, holding the phone to my ear after only one ring. If Jace could see me now, he'd tell me that I'm whipped, I think to myself, glad yet again that I have nothing to do with the singer anymore.

"This better be a call to tell me you're on your way over," I answer, peering over my shoulder and deciding how I'll tell Rey to leave. It was easier when I didn't think I had a shot with Emma - now that I do, I want - no, need - to spend all the time I can with her before Rey and I leave for the tour. And I don't care to share her attention with anyone else while I have her, either.

Emma giggles and I bask in the sound, proud and still in disbelief that I can be the cause of such a wonderful noise. Not for the first time, I wonder what I did to deserve someone so pure.

"I told you," Emma sighs deeply. "I couldn't find a way out of this retreat for the employees,"

"Oh, right." I groan, holding back an eye roll. The old Beau would say "Fuck the retreat," or something similar, insisting she show up at my door and let me show her how much more fun we could be having here, instead. Dr. Dex ever present in my mind, I add, "Well, that should be fun, right? Getting to know your co-workers more?"

"Uh," Emma hesitates on the line and my brows furrow as I immediately pick up on her discomfort. "I guess so,"

I wait for her to elaborate. When she doesn't, I venture, "Unless you think it won't be fun? In that case, I'm all for you ditching and seeing me instead."

Quickly, her voice raises an octave and I'm sure it's only for my benefit. "No, it'll be okay, you're right. I should make the most of it,"

"There you go," I try to sound cheerful, pissed that she's feeling down and I can't do anything to help her. "I'm here if you need to call or anything,"

"Thanks, Beau." Her reply is quick. "But I know you're busy getting ready for the tour, I don't want to bother you."

Ouch. That stings. Shame spreads through me as I mentally curse myself. What is even more frustrating than seeing her upset, is the fact that I used to be the one she'd talk to when she was, and now I'm finally ready to be the person willing to listen, to be there for her, and she doesn't feel like she can let me in.

And the worst part is that there's no one to blame but myself and my own stupid mistakes.

"You're never a bother." I hope she hears how much I mean that.

"Thanks," Her voice sounds shy and I'd bet she's blushing. The thought of her all flushed makes my crotch twitch. "Alright, well, I'm pulling into the place now, I just wanted to say hi."