eight

EMMA

The retreat is at Shannon's lake cabin, and while I should've expected more than a log cottage, I never would have dreamed the house would be so large. Built with natural wood that blends into the forest backdrop, the rustic mansion overlooks a crystal clear lake, lazily lapping at the shore towards the end of the vast, slopping lawn. The soft chirping of birds mingles with the dogs barking across the lake and reminds me of my childhood.

Despite the uneasiness I feel at spending the weekend with Lizzie and Tori, the serene environment of the cabin instantly relaxes me. Added to the cheery smile Adam gave me when I pulled in, I'm starting to feel like the weekend won't be a complete bust after all. At least we aren't sleeping in tents, as I had originally thought.

Carrying my bags through the beautifully carved entryway, I almost drop them to the floor once I'm inside. The first floor has no ceiling, instead the second floor overlooks the massive living room by a thin catwalk, making the cabin appear even bigger. A variety of animal heads line the walls, making me cringe, their beady eyes staring down at me.

Walking into the kitchen, I'm greeted by Adam and Jerry, sharing a beer by the sink, their laughter bouncing off the walls.

"Hey guys," I wave my hand awkwardly when their conversation reaches a natural pause.

"I'm really glad you could make it Emma," Adam smiles, reaching into the fridge to grab me a beer, too. Offering it to me, he shakes his head. "I'm learning more about this guy already,"

Beside him, Jerry laughs. "I'm a mysterious man, what can I say?" He gestures to my suitcase and purse, "Hey, let me help you get those to a room," he offers, his flushed face reminding me of a beardless Santa. He's almost jolly outside of work compared to his normal exhausted grumbling.

I shutter involuntarily at the thought of my coworkers getting to know me better. Certain things I am happy to share - where I went to school, what I studied, my friends, hell, even stories from the coffee shop. But others, say for example, who I choose to be with romantically, I'd rather not get into. Thinking of Tori and Lizzie, I'm sure they think that's the most interesting thing about me already, a fun fact they must love to make fun of.

"Oh, thanks." I say appreciatively, placing my beer on the counter next to Adam. "I'll be right back,"

Following Jerry up the stairs and across the catwalk, we come to a guest room at the end of the hall. "Only thing is, this ones got the adjoining bathroom with the one beside it." He shrugs, placing my bags by the foot of the bed. I wonder how many retreats he's come to during his time with O'Donnell's Publishing.

"No worries," I grin, thanking him again for helping me out. "Who's in the other room?" I ask curiously, grabbing my phone from my purse and looking around the cozy guest room. The bed is a double, with a plush comforter and too many throw pillows to count, and my eyes nearly get heavy just looking at it. God, I can't wait for bed.

"Tori and Lizzie," Jerry informs me and I force my expression to stay bubbly. "I'll let you get your stuff settled, then join us downstairs, okay?"
Accepting his invitation, I take a quick minute to freshen up in the adjoining bathroom, hearing bits of laugher from the other girls room.

Thinking of my closest friends, Val and Kim who live far away, Gemma, always on the move, and Nadine, busy running her own business, I suppose it would be good to have some other female companions. Maybe this trip will help me out in that regard.