eleven

EMMA

As soon as I had finished the tour, spending most of the time in our backyard overlooking the lake - a safer and easier sight than inside which was flooded with childhood memories - Beau insisted that we go furniture shopping to fill my parents lake house. Well, my lake house, I think to myself, gazing at Beau driving with one hand, using the other to trace the skin on my thigh. Our lake house?

Butterflies flutter in my belly as I try to process it all - Beau bought me a house. A freaking house. And not just any house, but my parents lake house. I had been wondering if Beau is taking our reconciliation as seriously as I am, but I think now I know.

Was the purchase rash and ultimately a bit overwhelming? Yes, but if that's not Beau, then I don't know what is.

Leaning my head back against the passenger seat, I feel my lips turn up at the corners as I watch him in the drivers seat of his Mustang. The wind is tousling his long, dark hair, tied back with a rubber hand, and his face looks relaxed as he hums along to the radio, the tiny cross that dangles from his ear swaying against his neck. What used to be a cloud of anger that followed him around wherever he went is now replaced with peaceful quiet.

Tilting my head to the breeze I inhale the smell of heat and sizzling pavement baking under the sun. I feel the sun rays themselves pinking the skin on my shoulders but I don't mind. Just another reminder of summers on the lake.

When we got to the furniture store earlier, I refused to let Beau fill up the house. Already in the process of decorating my condo, I know how expensive furniture can be, and I'm not willing to let him spend that kind of money - not when the lake house will be mostly empty until he gets back, anyways.

He insisted, though, on a bed. I smirk to myself out at the trees lining the winding dirt road, thinking back on our conversation.

"You at least need a bed, Emma." His voice was getting impatient - fed up with me refusing his offers, I could tell, but I didn't care. His attitude didn't scare me anymore.

"Fine," I sighed, collapsing onto one of the display mattresses. As hard as I tried, I couldn't resist relaxing into the plush comforter, the mattress the perfect blend of firm and soft. My eyes fluttered open to find Beau watching me intently, smug smirk on his face. "Lay with me," I raised my hand to him without lifting my body, too comfortable too move.

He shook his head, glancing around the massive store. "People are watching you, you know,"

I scoffed, raising my brows at him. "I'm trying out a mattress, at a mattress store," I sat up, propping myself with my elbows. "Besides, your whole job is people watching you, don't tell me you're shy now?"

Rolling his eyes at me, Beau reluctantly crawled across the bed to lie beside me, and I flopped down peacefully. Silently, I stared up at the ceiling, the warm feeling in my chest creating a broad smile on my face.

"This one's not so bad, right?" Beau mumbled, clearly out of his element. Leaning into his side, I inhaled scent - sweet smoke and Beau, much like it was before, except for the alcohol that used to seep from his pores most days.

I nodded, turning to look into his pretty green eyes. "It's expensive,"

"You need a bed," Beau repeated, squinting at me, "For sleeping." He leaned closer so he was whispering in my ear after planting kisses along my temple. "And for other things,"

Squirming slightly and blushing, I'm sure, I sprung from the bed, dizzy with desire as crude thoughts filled my mind. "This one will do," I muttered, a grin playing at my lips.