Rupture

Fie Wright's P. O. V

The footsteps echoing down the empty chambers caused goosebumps to raise on the delicate flesh of my skin. My breath catching in my throat as tremors run through me. The footfalls combined with the situation at hand causes an uneasy feeling to dwell within me. Something whispering within me that the unexpected turn of events will turn dire soon enough.

The seconds tick by with what felt like hours, each sound of feet slapping against stone seemingly far off away as my eyes zoom in on the narrow entrance through which my Pack enters from a side tunnel. I walked down that same exact tunnel not too long ago with the same feeling of built up anticipation, this time though; it makes me wonder if the outcome of events will be anything as pleasing as what befall me last time.

A soft gasp leaves me at the sight of my pack finally emerging into view. Marcus at the forefront much like last time, his hands bowed in front of him as he falls to the floor on one leg. The rest of the two warriors and the Mage following the advisor as they too bend the knee. My wide eyes take in their attire, scanning all of them incessantly but also confused at their appearance. I expected cuts and bruises, battered clothing all around with the warriors looking worse for wear.

The outcome isn't exactly what I was looking for as instead, their clothing looks ruffled at the slightest while Brutus, one of the warriors has a tiny gash on the head that, nonetheless, looks painful. The tight knot in my chest loosens at their arrival. The dread sizzling down a bit at the lack of injuries they sport since I always think of the worse possible outcomes in a scenario.

I get snapped out of my assessment of them since not even a second goes by of Malleus telling them to raise to their full form before a worried Ezra takes off towards the group. The guards on each side of the door get on the defence, ready to strike my cousin which causes me to latch onto my mate's arm. Not liking the thought of anything else happening to my family.

Another casual wave of the hand causes the guards to settle down which slows Ezra to throw his arms around his father. The sight endearing as the duo embrace, my heartstrings being tugged at as a wistful smile appears on my own face at the thought of hugging my father like that one day.

My wistful smile grows into one of appeasement as a heavy arm makes its way to wrap around my waist, my body being tugged into my mate's warmth, almost as if he knew exactly what my mind lingered on.

"As nice as this reunion is, we do have important matters to discuss." Malleus announces, getting straight to the point as always which makes me nudge him slightly in the side as the father and son step away from one another.

"I apologise for the lack of decorum, your Majesty." Marcus says earnestly with a respectful dip of his head. The King nods in return whereas I catch my uncles eye, giving him a subtle wink and a smile that expresses how happy I am to see he's back in one piece. The man tries to remain with that composed expression but I can see a smile tugging at the corner of my lips the second Malleus turns to Asha.

"We should all head to the main conference room. Make sure it is prepared and have the Council on standby. I will call upon them once we get the ground work laid down. You join us."

Asha nods in attention at her King's words, her expression turning to one of full professionalism as she gets on with the task given to her, eyes glazed over and linking the Council members while also coming to a stand besides us without falling face first into the ground much like I do when I try to walk while mentally talking to others.

Marcus and Ezra are moved forward by Ron who graciously holds his hands out to them, the human's eyes landing on me as his lips pull up into a pearly white smile when he notices the King's arm wrapped around me. I force my own smile, curiosity building up too much inside me as I scan the portly man from head to toe. Trying to take my time to analyse the human in front of me.