Somber

Fie Wright's P. O. V

The atmosphere was cloying for a lack of a better word. I'm sure my parents mean well and didn't think their daughter would rather jump off the six story pack house instead of spending a momentous dinner with her mate and two parents. It's like I have an imaginary clock ticking away with every passing second, each tick and tock reverberating inside my head that merely signals the minutes edging closer to when it'll happen.

I would have hoped by now that we'd all be well into our meals, maybe even onto dessert with the sound of knives and forks hitting ceramic plates and ricocheting all around us. The only conversation being comfortable silence except for a few one worded answers about how great the food is. Oh no. Instead, Malleus and I sit staring at the sight in front of us which simply consists of my father looking down at his empty plate, too embarrassed to meet my mates stare whereas my mother has no shame in openly gawking at the man in front of her, darting her eyes between me and him.

"Um mom," I break hesitantly through her wondering gaze, "I was assuming there'd be food involved when we were brought to the table." I cringe a bit at how presumptions I sound but thankfully that all flies over my mothers head, the woman probably not entirely listening to me in the first place as she nods her head and waves a hand in the air.

"You just stay there the both of you. Fred come help me with the food." My mother calls out, her gaze still fixated on Malleus who doesn't seem as if he feels out of place, contrary to his words. However when my mom takes the lead of bringing in the food, my eyes widen as I send my father a quick glance.

'Did mom cook?' The cry of worry even apparent through the mind link while my father gets up and pats me on the head calmly as he passes me by.

'I've already been embarrassed once in front of your mate and our King. I'm not about to let him be poisoned to death Fie. That counts as treason.' He assures which causes my frayed nerves to settle somewhat. At least my mate will make it past dinner.

My grip tightens around Malleus' hand, our fingers intertwined underneath the table much like they always are whenever we find ourselves seated quite like this. The seconds pass and I'm about to open my mouth to ask Malleus if he feels too weirded out but stop in place as my parents enter, jaw slightly unhinging at the sight before me. Plates of various foods piled high in my parents arms as they set them down onto the table, a whole smattering of various dishes taking up the entirety of the table as different scents smack me right in the face.

What on Earth is going on?

"Your mother went a bit overboard with the menu." Dad politely let's me know while I merely find myself nodding my head, unsure how to exactly go about this.

"Dig in! I want you to try a bit of everything. All clean plates." My mom announces cheerily with a clap of her hands while I slowly start to nod my head, only after realising her words were directed towards my mate and not me.

This is followed by that awkward pause as everyone waits for the other to place food for themselves first but no one makes a move because they're waiting for the other's to make that first move. With a concealed sigh, I decide to be the escape goat and start to put a various assortment of food on my plate till it's got a sizeable portion that'll either fill me up or have me going in for seconds.

"So Malleus, can we call you Malleus? Great!" My mother begins once she gets her confirmation, "How did you meet my baby girl? I hope she didn't make too much of a fool out of herself. She does have an air about her sometimes."

My face reddens at the insinuation but I simply continue to chow on the prawn that was in mouth, holding back the scoff at her words.

Like she's one to talk. No one else spanks their daughter in front of company except her.