Chapter 9

3x08

"They stayed there for 2 days. Hiding and waiting." I catch the end of a conversation as I walk into the Hale loft.

"What are you talking about?" I ask them.

"A night Derek and Peter were nearly killed by hunters and had to hide for 2 days." Stiles explains and I nod.

"It's what we were taught to do when hunters found us. Hide and heal." She explains.

"So is two days standard? Or are we thinking Derek's on an extended getaway?" Stiles questions her impatiently.

"Why do you care?" She asks him.

"Because in the last few weeks, my best friend almost killed himself, his body nearly got ritually sacrificed, a girl I've known since I was 3 was ritually sacrificed, Amelia turned into a werewolf, Boyd was killed by Alphas-- you really need me to go on? Because I can. For like an hour." Stiles tells her frustrated.

"You think Derek can do anything about it?" Cora scoffs.

"Since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it." Stiles corrects.

"I don't know. There's something about him now. He wasn't like this when I knew him." Cora quietly replies.

"Well, what was he like?" Stiles asks her.

"A lot like Scott actually." Peter says walking down the staircase. "A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic. Profoundly narcissistic. Tolerable really to other teenagers."

"So, like you when i met you?" I ask him, and he gives me a smirk.

"So what changed him?" Stiles asks, ignoring my question.

"The same thing that changes a lot of men. A girl." Peter tells him.

"Some girl broke his little heart and that's why he's like that?" Stiles scoffs.

"The details are a bit more textured. You remember before Derek was an alpha his eyes were blue? Do you know why some werewolves have blue eyes?" Peter questions.

"I thought it was a genetic thing." stiles answers, clearly sensing that it is not that.

"Genetics? Come on, stiles. Don't reduce our nature to something as boring and mechanical as DNA. You want to know what changed Derek? Then you need to know what changed the colour of his eyes." Peter says to us.

"So this is the same time I knew your family?" I ask him and he nods.

"Knew our family?" Cora questions.

"Well, it was mainly your mom, Laura and Peter." I tell her. "I did meet you once though." Peter then goes on to explain what happened when Paige and Derek first met.

"So if Derek was a sophomore back then how old was he? How old were you? How old are you now?" Stiles asks Peter.

"Not as young as we could have been but not as old as you might think." Peter vaguely replies.

"That was frustratingly vague." Stiles mutters, then looks to cora. "How old are you?"

"17." She replies.

"See? That's an answer." Stiles says to Peter. "How old were you?" He asks me.

"18 back then, 26 now." I tell him. "Peter was 24 back then and Derek was 15."

"So you're 32?" Stiles asks Peter with a frown on his face.

"Yes." Peter sighs. "Thanks for that Amelia."