New Beginnings

A/N please read!!!: hey everyone, sorry I haven't updated in awhile. High school has been kicking my ass. Just to clarify a few things, I wanted to tell you guys that 1.) there is some swearing in this story so if you can't handle a cuss here and there, then this story might not be for you, 2.) this story will be in first person POV. I kinda switch the POV from 1st to 3rd person on accident last chapter, but the rest will be in 1st person. 3.) I'm sorry for any spelling mistakes. I'm awful at spelling, but I'll try to look over it better before publishing from now on. If there are any mistakes, just put it in the comments, and I'll try to fix it up. 4.) I know I haven't published in a while, like I said, high school sucks lol. Anyways, I'm honing to try to pre-write some chapters over break in case I don't get time to write much after break, but then I'll still be able to update :D yay. 5.)and last but probably not least, I will make some references to songs or recommend listening to a certain song while reading a certain part. I have a very diverse taste in music, so the music I recommend could be anything from Demi Lavato to Three Days Grace to One Direction to Brad Paisley to My Chemical Romance to Pierce the Veil to so many other things that I'm not even going to try to list them all. Anyways the point is A.) you don't have to listen, so don't hate, because my biggest pet peeve is when people hate on others music. And B.) please don't judge me or my writing based on my music. Like, please don't quit reading the story just because I mentioned a song or artist you don't like. It's super appreciated. The last thing I wanted to say is I know that this is early in the story, but thanks for all the support from everyone and thanks for reading. Love y'all, and onto the story :)

P.s. We're still in a flashback, but only about half of it will be from Clary's POV. The rest will be Jace.

Italicized: flashback

Bolded:Clary's note

Clary's POV:

I stumble out of the portal, tears still blurring my vision. I can still fell where he touched my arm, and it burned like fire. I wasn't sure whether it felt that way because I hated him, or still loved him. After pulling myself together and making sure had everything, I went to figure out where I was, then look for the closest institute.

After wandering around for awhile, I found a McDonalds and went inside. I walked up to the counter and asked where I was. The cashier, a teenage boy with brown hair and raging acne, answered, "McDonald's" without even looking up. "Well no fricken duh!!!" I thought, but smiled as nicely as I could and said
"Okay, I mean where is this McDonald's?".
"2520 W National Ave ,Milwaukee" he answered, looking as board as ever.
"Milwaukee?", I practically screamed, "As in Milwaukee, Wisconsin?"
"Um yeah" he answered, looking at me like a was crazy. He was probably about to ask if I was ok or something, but I ran outside before he could say a word, and looked around. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I just started looking around, probably looking as lost as can be.

Then out of the corner of my eye, I saw someone, or should I say something, that reassured me greatly. It was a rune. The equilibrum rune to be exact. The girl whom the rune was drawn on was about 5'7 with brown, slightly curly hair and eyes that seemed to change color. She was the kind of person who was pretty, but you had to actually look at he to realize that. Then 4 people ran up to her, 2 boys and 2 girls. They started walking away, laughing and looking like completely normal teenagers aside from the runes and black hunting gear. I didn't want to lose them, yet didn't know how to approach them, so I just followed them from a distance.

I had been following them for about 10 minutes when they turned a corner, but when I turned that same corner, they were nowhere to be seen. I looked around, then in the blink of an eye, was pinned against a wall with a dagger to my throat. The person holding the dagger was 1 of the boys I'd seen earlier with the girl. He was about 6 feet tall with the same eye and hair color as the girl. They looked so similar, that I assumed they must be siblings. We sat there and stared at each other for what seemed like hour, but was probably no more than a minute, his eye intense and angry. Then he spoke. "Who, or what, are you and what do you want" he spat out at me. It took me a minute to form words, but once I found my voice, I replied. "I-I'm a shadowhunter. Li-like you" I stuttered out. I then pulled down the collar of my shirt a little too show him the angelic rune on my chest. He still looked slightly suspicious, but took the knife from my throat, backed away a few steps, and called out.