9

"She goes out into the rain, Takes it all and doesn't complain, But now she's starting to dissolve in pain,"

I was sitting in the kitchen, pressing a paper towel to the gash in my hand. It was bleeding profusely, which was starting to concern me. I put on an antibacterial cream and then a band aid and made my way back outside.

"You good?" Khalid asked when he saw me.

I nodded and sat down next to Ami.

"What happened?" Ami asked.

"Just a little cut," I murmured, "I'm fine."

I looked around for Isa. He looked alright, he was now sitting next to my Chacha (uncle). I made my way over anyway and bent down to Chacha's ear.

"Is he okay?" I asked.

"Yes," he said, "How'd the toolbox fall?"

"I think he pulled out the drawers and it just got off balance," I mumbled.

I could tell Chacha didn't want to make a big deal of it, didn't want to tell Uncle Ishaaq about it. It was a common thing, this sort of need for discretion. I wasn't sure exactly why. I figured it had something to do with not wanting others to think he couldn't take care of his kids, or that he was bad father somehow.

I went back to where Jana and the mothers were seated. For the first time, I didn't really talk at all throughout the conversation. Something about Jana's presence, her face, had sparked memories of the night at the pool and the feelings, the clouds, were growing thicker in my mind.

"How's studying going, Hiba?"

I nearly flinched at the sudden sound of Aunty Lina. She was looking at me, smiling, waiting for a response, and so I spoke.

"It's good, alhamdulillah," I answered, "I'm glad that summer is here, though."

"Yes. Khalid is done as well, he graduated this year, alhamdulillah." she said, still looking at me.

"Oh, mashallah!" I smiled, "That's great."

"Alhamdulillah. What year are you now, Hiba?"

"I start fourth year next year, inshallah."

"Then you're almost done?"

"Yup!" I tried to seem excited.

"Mashallah." she said.

I smiled, listened to the awkward silence between us. Finally, she turned back to Ami and began talking, releasing me from the tense hold of her gaze. Jana seemed strangely invested in the mothers' conversation, so I found my mind free, once again, to wander, to spin around the same thoughts.

But then Aunty Lina was talking to me again, something I was half frustrated at and half grateful for.