45

"She does her part,                                                                                                                                                                      And in turn, so does her heart,"

"My parents invited us to come over tomorrow for dinner," Khalid said, "Are you free?"

I nodded, "I think so.  I'll double-check for classes and stuff, but I think I'm good." 

"Okay."

I turned away from him, putting my laptop down on the counter and clicking through a few files.  I had a lot of work due for tomorrow, and I was worried my presentations would not be up to par, because the people I had been partnered with were less than ideal.

I felt Khalid slip his arms around my waist, drop a quick kiss on my cheek.  

"What are you up to, love?"

"Trying not to fail in this class," I murmured, leaning back against him.

I tilted my head upwards so I could look at him.  He pecked my lips, making me smile.  

"How bad is it?" he asked.

"Well," I flipped my hair, "My part is amazing.  Like, absolutely incredible.  But my partners'?  They're not even done yet."

"Oh," he sighed, "I can't quite help you with that."

"It's fine," I said, still smiling, "I'm graduating soon, you know?"

"Yeah," he sounded excited, "And then you're good to go."

I nodded, "I've been meaning to ask you about the Walima."

"When do you want to do it?" he asked.

I shrugged, "When do you want it?"

"Tomorrow," he smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "Post-graduation, Khalid."

"Late June?"

"Yeah, that might work.  We'll have to run it by the parents since they'll have to do a lot of work for it, but inshallah, we can plan for that."

He buried his face into my neck, sending me into a fit of giggles at the sensation of his beard against my skin.  He knew what he was doing, and so he continued.

"Khalid!" I squeaked.

He pulled away, spun me around to face him, grinned.  

"I love making you laugh," he smiled.

I was quite sure I'd blushed.

I'd never liked my laugh.  I wasn't sure why, I just found it too loud, too explosive.  I didn't like the way my face looked when I laughed either, my smile too wide, and the corners of my eyes crinkled.

"You say these things much too easily," I mumbled.

"Well, I have lots of practice," he teased.

I feigned shock, "With who?"

"Girls everywhere," he smirked, "I was quite the charmer back in high school."

I shoved his shoulder, pouted.

"No, you didn't," I grumbled in a childish voice.

"Okay, fine," he said, pulling me closer to him, "I didn't, love."

"Damn right," I muttered.

"Such language!" he gasped.

"Damn right," I repeated.

He laughed, picked me up far too easily, an arm under my legs and another beneath my back.

"Oh my God!" I squealed, gripping at his shoulder, "What the heck?!"

He was smiling very hard at me, enjoying my annoyance.

"Put me down!"

"I don't know, sweetheart," he murmured.

I facepalmed.

He chuckled, carried me to the couch, then released me.  There I curled up, closed my eyes.

"Do you have any spare hoodies?" I asked.

He gave me a strange look, "Why?"

"I want to wear them," I said.

"Again, why?"

"Because they're comfortable!"

And they smelt good.

"I have a few," he said, "You can just borrow them whenever you want, I don't really care."

I was off the couch in a moment, running into our room, looking through his drawers.  I came running back out wearing a gray hoodie many sizes too big for me.  

It smelt like Khalid, and I liked how warm it was.

"You're so weird," he said, shaking his head.

"Why?"

"I've never seen a girl so excited about getting a boy's hoodie!"

"I told you, they're comfortable."

"Okay." he smiled, "At least it looks cute on you, love."

I hid my face in the fabric, heard him laugh before tugging my body into him.