11

"He clenches his fist tight, Knuckles turning white,"

I ran a dry paintbrush across the canvas.

I wasn't actually sure what I was about to paint. It was a bittersweet thing, to be painting again. Sweet, because I loved it, and bitter because my parents did not.

I'd never told my parents that I painted or showed them any of my work, no one except Jana knew. Maybe I should have tried, people could surprise you, after all, but I was scared that they would be angry. I knew they wanted me to have "real job" which to them was either medicine, engineering, law, or business. I had a degree in something I didn't care about, I was starting to realize. I'd gotten into business, and though I was grateful that I'd managed to secure a job so easily, I didn't enjoy it.

It was a cultural thing in a lot of ways, I think-- the idea that only those professions were worth something.

I didn't want to risk telling my parents about it and crushing my hopes in a way, I guess. I wanted to believe there was a chance that my parents would have allowed me instead of actually telling them and having a definite answer. At least then I wouldn't be angry at anyone but myself.

I was actually amazed that I had managed to keep it a secret so long. My parents had an irritating way of finding out about all my activities. Somehow or the other, though, this particular thing had slipped past them.

"Khalid?"

I unlocked the door after shoving my stuff under the table. Much to my relief, Jana stood there, not my mother.

"Yeah?" I said.

"Ami and Abu want to talk to you." Jana smirked.

I closed my eyes. I had a strong feeling that this was not going to be a pleasant meeting.

I knew my parents wouldn't force me into anything, but the whole idea of marriage seemed intimidating. I wasn't actively trying to find someone, and even though I'd had feelings for people before, I didn't trust my own judgement much. I'd been proved wrong enough times to realize that my gut was not always right, especially when it came to judging someone's character.

I went downstairs, sat down. My parents were settled next to each other, looking so serious it would have made me laugh if I hadn't been so busy trying not to run out of the room.

"Yeah?" I groaned, "What do you wanna talk about?"

"Your mum already told you," Abu said, rolling his eyes.

Ami shoved his shoulder, stifling a smile.

"Ishaaq!" she scolded.

"Okay," he said, and turned to me, sobered in a second, "We think we found a girl for you."

"Yeah, no." I said abruptly, "Can I go now?"

"Khalid." Abu gave me a look.

"Who?" I asked, sighing.

"Is there anyone you're thinking of?" Ami asked, a mischievous smile on her face.

I raised my eyebrows, "I would tell you if did. Who is it, Ami?"

She bit her lip, nervous and amused at the same time, "Hiba."

I think my jaw might have dropped.

"As in, like, Hiba Hiba?"

"Huh?" Ami questioned, then sighed, "Hiba Khan, Khalid."

I didn't say anything.

My mind was suddenly fighting against itself. This was almost worse than my mother suggesting someone I would never consider. If that had been the case, I would have said no immediately, and this whole conversation would have been over.

Instead, I was forced into actually thinking, actually analyzing.

"Well, he hasn't said no yet," Abu smirked, "That's good."

Is this a joke to him?

I looked across the room at Jana, who had been silent the entire conversation, for perhaps the first time in her life. She caught my eyes, but instead of helping, she just threw me a smug look.

Of course she did.

"Khalid?" Ami asked, "We're not asking you to make a decision about anything major. We just want to know if you want to get to know her better."

"L-Let me..." I paused my stutter, "Let me think a-about it."

"Are you blushing?" Jana asked, teasing.

She just had to speak, didn't she?

I just glared at her.

"I said I would think about it." I repeated.

"Sounds good, Khalid," Abu said, and smiled.

"Why'd you bring her up anyway?" I asked.

Ami looked at me like I had just asked if the world was flat.

"Seriously, why?"

Jana started laughing.

"You think no one notices you staring at her?"

I think I really was blushing now. Damn it.

"I don't stare at her," I muttered.

"Khalid, I've known you for 21 years. I can tell when you finally remember to lower your gaze." Jana shook her head, still laughing.

"Ami, why were you think about this?" I asked, less because I wanted to know and more to change the subject.

"You heard Jana," she said.

I don't think I'd ever been in a room with so many smirking people. This whole situation was becoming exceedingly uncomfortable.

I'd never had this sort of a conversation with my parents, especially not one that was so serious and real. Jana had teased me about practically every girl I'd ever said so much as hello to, but this was different.

This time she'd actually managed to make me blush.