33

"He pulls her close and lets out a sigh,                                                                                                                         Can't let go and wonders why,"

"As salaamu alaikum!" Aunty Lina said, a huge smile on her face as she hugged Khalid.

"Wa alaikum us salaam, Ami," he murmured.

"Hiba!" Jana exclaimed, running past Khalid-- who gave her an amused but offended look-- to envelop me in a tight hug.

"As salaamu alaikum," I laughed.

"Wa alaikum us salaam," she replied.

"Don't you want to hug your brother?"

"Oh, him," she said, scoffing, "Hi."

"As salaamu alaikum," Khalid corrected, raising an eyebrow at her, "And I expect a hug, sister dearest."

She pouted, then allowed a glimmer of a smile, "Wa alaikum us salaam," she mumbled and hugged him.

Uncle Ishaaq came in, hugging first Khalid then me, and then we all sat down in the living room.

"Is your family coming, Hiba?" Aunty Lina asked.

"No," I said, "Ami has a course and the boys are out with friends, I think."

"Oh, okay," she said, "I haven't seen your mum in a while.  We should all get together soon, inshallah."

"Yeah," I smiled, "Definitely."

"So, Khalid, how was the trip?" Uncle Ishaaq asked.

"It was good, alhamdulillah." he replied, "I'm glad to be home though."

"Is this going to be regular for your job now, beta?" Aunty Lina questioned.

"I don't think so, Ami.  This was a one time thing."

"Did you miss Hiba?" Jana asked, grinning.

"Of course he is, Jana," Uncle Ishaaq smiled, "She's his wife."

"I want to hear it from you, Khalid," Jana smirked, "How much did you miss your wife?"

I turned to Khalid, raising my eyebrows, "Why are you being so quiet?"

He glared at me, "You're throwing me under the bus?"

"What bus?" I retorted, "What, did you not miss me?"

"I did--"

"Then just say how much you missed me.  What's so hard?

"Come on, Khalid!" Jana exclaimed.

"Beta, tell us," Aunty Lina added.

Khalid looked at me, face softening, "I missed her every day that I was there.  I wanted to buy a plane ticket just so I could come here for five minutes and do this." and he kissed my cheek.

Dammit, Khalid, no PDA when your parents are here.

Aunty Lina and Uncle Ishaaq were smiling at us, however.

"He's head over heels for her," Uncle Ishaaq mumbled to Aunty Lina.

"Happy now?" Khalid asked, smirking at the blush in my cheeks.

"Yes," I muttered.

***

"Hiba?" 

"Yes?" I said, turning around from where I stood washing dishes.

Everybody else was outside the kitchen, sitting and talking.  Khalid had offered to help with the dishes, but I wanted him to have time with his family, and anyway doing something simple had a strangely comforting affect  on me.

Jana was looking at me, a little somber.

"I talked to Safa."

"Oh no," I groaned, "I told you not to, Jana."

"And I didn't, not at first.  But then recently, she texted me, asking why we hadn't talked in so long, and I just couldn't help it." she paused, "Did you know about her brother?"

"I did," I said, pretending to be unaffected as I dried a mug.

"Do you think it had something to do with how she treated you?"

"Maybe," I shrugged, "But at the end of the day, it wasn't my fault her brother had a car accident.  I know that sounds horrible, but it's true.  I think she took out her anger on me, in order to push me away, and it wasn't okay."

"She told me she really regrets it," Jana said softly.

"Honestly?  She's said the same thing to me, and then turned around and done the opposite.  I need proof, Jana."

"Proof of what?" a deep voice asked.

I knew it was Khalid immediately.

"Nothing," I said at the same time as Jana.

Khalid raised his eyebrows.

"We'll talk about this later," I whispered in his ear as I walked past him to join his parents, leaving the dishes for later.