20

Halfway through the drive Hiba woke up.

She let out a sigh of satisfaction and said, "How long was I asleep?"

"About 45 minutes," Shuayb replied, "Why are you so tired?"

"I was up early," she mumbled, "Is there any water?"

I looked around, spotted a bottle in the side pocket, and passed it behind my head, "Here."

"Thanks." she said.

***

"And her fingers are shaking,                                                                                                                                          
Heart breaking,"

Hiba's POV

We all went to Khalid's house, where the parents were already waiting. 

We'd been inside, just talking, for a while when Aunty Lina pulled out an old album.  Khalid was there, looking over her shoulder at the pictures.

"Oh, look!" Aunty Lina exclaimed, "You're so cute here!"

She turned the book to face me. Khalid looked embarrassed, like he didn't want me to see this, and somehow that just made me want to see it even more. 

It was a picture of Khalid and Jana.  Khalid must have been 6 or 7 in this photo, and even though I'd known him at the time, I'd seen him grow so gradually that I'd actually forgotten what he used to look like.

"I'm adorable!" Jana grinned, "You look so awkward Khalid."

"I kind of do," he admitted, "I wasn't exactly a handsome child."

He was right.

But now, Khalid had grown into his features.

His hair, which was too fluffy and large for the child's small face was brushed back and just messy enough. The shoulders that had been too broad for his age looked just right now, and his eyes--

Oh my God, his eyes.

Oh my God, his eyes.

Oh my God, his eyes.

His big, dark eyes, the eyes that were too mature for the boy in the picture, his beautiful, beautiful eyes. He'd grown into them too.

I looked back up to meet those eyes, the eyes that were looking at me and I couldn't breathe until I looked away.

That was the moment.

The moment when I realized that and I really, really liked Khalid, and I was really, really attracted to him because I really, really liked him, and the entire thing terrified me. I felt the cold creep up my arms and down my back, my heart jolting at the intensity of the emotion.

I looked back up.

He was still looking at me.

Oh my God, oh my God.

I couldn't form a coherent thought, couldn't get enough of a grip on myself to figure my emotions out.

I needed him to stop looking at me, to take his eyes off me so I could think, I needed to  think, I needed to get him off my mind, needed to stop, stop, stop, everything.