Rules of The Pack

Sasha and I are sitting across from each other in the small room both of us wearing similar expressions. “I’m really getting tired of being chained up” She comments tugging on the chains at her ankles. I sigh and look towards the door thinking about Mikhail and the way he had looked at me. 

“You’d think they’d have more appreciation for us saving their lives. Men!” Sasha groans, “See if I help them again. Next time I’ll let you idiots die!” she yells out to no one in particular. I look back to her and understand she is just as frustrated as I am  but more then that she’s worried about Gideon. I don’t have to hear her say it out loud to know by the way she’s acting. Her eyes meet mine and then she looks way with a huff. When the door to the room open we both turn to see who is coming in. A young kid probably about fifteen comes in with some food. He looks like he’s a little nervous as he comes into the room. He sets the food down where we can reach and then stands there awkwardly for a moment. 

I look him over and I catch an odd scent coming off of him. I wrinkle my nose as I take in another breath. He has a rogue smell to him and I tilt my head to the side, “Is there something you want?” I ask him curious. His brown eyes flicker to me and his eyes widen a little as if this is the first time anyone has ever spoken to him. Sasha has already snatched the tray of food up, “Seriously? They want us to eat this?” She complains. I ignore her as I continue to stare up at the boy, a soft smile spreads across my lips, “Thank you for bring us something to eat. I was starving…” I reach out towards the tray and grab it. 

He still seems to be in a daze, perhaps he’s mute or something. I think to myself as I look away from him to the food. Sasha is right about that though, it doesn’t look very edible. “Y-yo-you’re like me?” The boy seems to find his voice and I look back up to him with a little surprise. He looks away from we quickly his hands clenching into fists at his sides. I tilt my head a little and that’s when I notice the marks on his body. It looks like tiny scars as if he’d been beaten many times in his life. 

“Hey kid!” Sasha talks to him completely unaware of what was going on between us. He looks towards her and she gives him a smile, “Would you mind taking these back and bringing us something a little more—well just more?” She asks him. He looks down at the food he’s brought us and then to his feet, “T-this is w-what they gave me.” He replies, “It would be disobedient to ask for something else.”  

Sasha looks to him with confusion and then to me. I didn’t understand everything about werewolf society but I understood enough that you didn’t go against the orders of those higher than you in the pack. Though I had a feeling that this kid wasn’t a member of the pack but more like a slave to it. I felt a pang of sadness as I looked at him, “What’s your name?” I ask him gently. 

He keeps his eyes trained on the ground a look of submission, “I don’t have one—“ He replies. Sasha jumps into the conversation with a snort, “You’ve got to be kidding.” I look over to her with a glare and she quickly shuts up. I turn my attention back to the boy, “Earlier you asked me if I was like you? What did you mean by that?” He seems to remain silent for a moment and then gathering his courage he looks to me, “You belong to the Enforcers like I belong to the pack…” I feel a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach as I come to understand completely what is happening. Who knew how long this kid had been like this, maybe sense a little kid. All because he who his parents were. He didn’t look like he could hurt a fly. 

My wolf seemed to sense my anger and she began to pace back in forth in her cage. I took a deep breath trying to calm myself down, “You and I, we are the same.” I say giving him what I hoped was a reassuring smile, “And that’s why when I get out of here. I promise that I will take you with me.” I say with conviction and I mean it. I will not leave this poor kid here to become some kind of whipping boy for a pack. No matter what he is, he doesn’t deserve something like that. His brown eyes seem to spark for a moment at my words.