Missing In Action

“What are you doing out here Elena?” Dante asked me as he saw me trying to sneak back into the house. I gave him a sheepish smile, “I needed some fresh air.” Dante gave me a disapproving look, “Mikhail told us to keep you inside the house. I’m sorry kiddo but what he says is what we do.” I cross my arms over my chest with a loud huff, “Well doesn’t anyone ever care about what I want? You know how much it sucks to be locked up in that place with no social contact? I want to talk to him.” I ordered. 

Dante gave a weird expression as if he was feeling conflicted, “You can’t do that right now Elena.” 

I narrow my eyes on him, “What do you mean I can’t do that right now? Why not? Where is he?” 

Dante gave an even more suspicious expression and then changed it quickly, “Oh he’s around, but he’s doing his Enforcer duties. You know how it is—“ He says to me apologetically. Yeah, this is a load of bull. I continue to stare at him tapping my foot, “Uh-huh. So where around here is he exactly? I mean cause if you won’t get him to come here then I’ll just go find him myself.” I say determined to have my way this time. I had things that I needed to talk to Mikhail about, the least of which being that I was probably one of the reasons they had been hunted by the vampires and rogues. Someone really wanted me to be dead. 

“Uh—He’s—uh, you know I think I saw him go into a meeting with the Elder earlier. So why not just wait and I’ll tell him you want to talk him when I see him next.” I ground my teeth together in frustration, “Listen I’ve been waiting for three days now and I’m done waiting. I’m not going back in that house until I talk to Mikhail.” Dante looks very nervous over that statement, “Elena, please just listen to me on this okay? He has a good reason for putting you in there. He wouldn’t do it for nothing. Trust me. So go back in the house and Mikhail will come talk to you soon.” 

“What’s the reason then? Let’s hear it.” I say with raised brows. 

He shifts from side to side, “The reason—I’m not—I can’t say.” 

I open my mouth and a growl deep comes out as my eyes flash silver, “I’m over all the secrets got it?! So you have five seconds which is the remaining time left on my patience—to tell me what the hell is going on or I will seriously kick your ass—One—two—three—fo—“ He holds up his hands, “Okay, okay.” 

I smirk a little apparently these guys were big softies when it came to me. Maybe it had something to do with Mikhail or maybe it really was just me. He looks around and then grabs me by the arm pulling me around to the side of the house that is hidden by shadows, “Why are you dragging me into the darkness?” I question. He shushes me as he continues to look around checking for people, then he stops letting go of me. 

“Okay you’re starting to freak me out—“ I say rubbing my arm a little. Dante pulls out a cigarette and lights it. He takes a puff and I see him relax a little, “Elena, try to remain calm okay?” That’s definitely not something that I wanted to hear right now. You can’t tell someone to remain calm before you give them information that’s like say no offense before you say something offensive. I nod my head but I feel like I am holding my breath. He sighs taking another drag, “Mikhail is MIA.” My eyes widen and my heart drops into my stomach, “E-excuse me?” I stutter. 

Dante’s forehead creases as his brow draw together, “He’s been missing for two days for sure now. He told us to keep you in the house and to keep you there until he came back then he took off.”