Chapter 19: The Second Trial

Annabeth POV:

Hogwarts' Great Hall; overflowing with every student from every school; a picture of curiosity and delight on each of their faces as a competitor slowly approached the Mirror of Erised in the centre of the room and awaited their fate. A charm had been cast so that everyone could see what the competitor saw when they looked into the Mirror. It was invasive and nerve-racking for the Competitors, but the crowd adored it. 

Twice now, the crowd had cheered as both Dima and Adele proved that their greatest desire really was the Golden Wand. Twice now, we other competitors had grumbled, knowing that we would fail where they had not. 

"Who's next to volunteer?" Diggory taunted, and Louise Fontaine strutted forwards with an air of arrogance that told us all we needed to know before she even reached the Mirror. The crowd cheered, for there her reflection stood with the Golden Wand in hand, and Louise was escorted out of the hall and into the Victor's chamber to await the next trial. 

Sitting across the hall from me, head in hands and looking embarrassed, sat Igor, Fleur and Adrian, who had all attempted the Mirror and failed. Igor had seen his dog, Fleur herself as a mother and Adrian had seen himself as Minister for Magic. I dreaded having to join them, looking so sad, but I knew my fate was sealed. 

"Next?" Diggory asked, voice layered with glee. 

Percy shrugged and stood up, giving me a wink as he did so. I blushed, knowing that his desire was private and slightly embarrassing. Sure enough, as soon as he looked into the Mirror my reflection appeared by his side... wearing a wedding dress. His own reflection was dressed in a handsome suit, and the both of us were beaming with excitement. Behind us both stood Sally, Paul, Tyson and Estelle, and just apart from them all... Percy's father. I lowered my eyes to the ground as whistles and teases erupted from the crowd, and Jason gave me a playful push on the arm. 

"Percy Jackson!" Dumbledore announced. "It appears that you were unable to change your desire to that which you needed most, therefore I regret to inform you that you have failed the trial and shall no longer compete in the Golden Competition. Please join the others, over there, who have also failed to proceed to the next round."

It was a depressing sight, watching the crowd of failed competitors grow in size whilst the three victors waited patiently in their room alone. Percy was next joined by Viktor, who desired to hold the Quidditch World Cup Trophy; Luna, who saw herself with her mother and father; Ginny, who saw herself as a successful Auror; Harry, who also saw his parents; Nico, who saw himself arm in arm with his boyfriend, Will, whilst Bianca and Hazel supported him from a distance; Jason, who saw himself as Headmaster of Goode school; Hazel, who saw herself on the Argo, laughing with all her friends; Ines, who saw herself as the Head of Department of Magical Law Enforcement and Sarah, who saw herself as Miss France 2020. 

The room in the mood had gone from excitement to dismay, especially after Harry Potter's defeat, when people realized that even the Chosen One would not be making it through to the next round of the tournament. There were tears as well as angry shouts - mostly from Thalia and Clarisse, who were more than a little overwhelmed by the fact that every competitor from Goode had failed. 

My hands were shaking as I approached the Mirror. There was no part of me that hoped I might succeed - every part of me knew that I would fail, and I never was good at accepting defeat. I didn't even need to look at the Mirror - the collective groan of disappointment that escaped from the crowd was enough to tell me I hadn't succeeded. There I stood with Percy, happier than ever before. Not a wand in sight. 

"Miss Chase, please join the others," Dumbledore said quietly. 

The walk towards the other losers felt like the longest walk of my life. It seemed like every pair of eyes in the hall were on me, watching me and my heavy heart walk heavily towards my final destination. I hung my head low, trying my best not to let the overwhelming sense of disappointment show on my face. Sarah Vincent was crying heavily. I made sure to sit apart from her.