Chapter 37: Just a Small Crush

Annabeth POV:

"I knew that I'd be in love with him forever..." Percy mused. I nudged his shoulder.

"Oh, shut up, I can take it back, you know?" I smiled at him playfully. The two of us were alone in the boy's dormitory of the Golden Suite, lying face to face in each other's arms. Our legs were intertwined, I was wearing his hoodie.  It was Saturday night, which meant everyone was downstairs in the Golden Suite getting drunk - with the rest of our fellow Goode Students now living with us, drinking nights became hectic and wild. 

"You said forever, which technically means you can't take it back," he pointed out.

"Oh, I really wish I had kept my mouth shut. At this point I think it would have been better to pretend that I loved Lu-"

"-No, no, no," he tried to say it playfully, but I could tell this was an awkward subject for him. "I liked the forever version a lot better, even if it was in front of a hundred people."

"I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself. Talking about our past, it just reminds me how all of this began. If anything, I regret not telling you sooner how I felt. I really did mean it when I said I fell in love with you after the first time you made me laugh... and then I waited until our fifth year to say something."

"Hmmmm let's see," he mused, moving a few centimeters closer so that our noses brushed. "You hated me at first, so our first laugh must have been... when we escaped school to find my Mom, and we were in the back of that animal truck. It was gross in there but we passed the time by actually talking to each other for the first time. I can't remember what I said, probably something dumb as usual, but I remember you smiling for the first time and me thinking 'wow, I want to make her smile again'."

I smiled and he laughed. 

"And as for me," he continued. "I think the first time I realised I loved you was when I woke up after my fight against the Blast-Ended Skrewt. You were staring down at me and I thought I'd never seen a girl as pretty as you in my life and-"

I nudged him again, but our faces moved closer together still. 

"Shut up," I laughed. "There's no way! That was the first time we met and I made fun of you for drooling in your sleep, you must have hated me! I was such a bitch..."

"Was? Past tense?" Percy laughed. I had to force myself not to slap him. "I'm just kidding, I'm just kidding. You were never a bitch-"

"-Just kiss me," I laughed, and he did. 

As with every time we kissed, I felt like I was melting into his skin. Percy had a hold on me that made me feel like every kiss we shared was our first; just as exciting and electric and hot as the last. He rolled on top of me, pulling me closer so that there was no space between us. I curled my fingers into his messy hair, wanting him completely. The kiss grew in intensity and passion just as Hermione walked into the dormitory. I cursed myself for not remembering to lock the door. 

"Oh, sorry!" She gasped. "I can, um, come back later!"

"Yes, please do-" Percy began.

"-No it's fine," I sat bolt upright quickly, pushing him off me. "Percy's just kidding."

"I mean, I wasn't," Percy grumbled under his breath. "But fine..."

I got out of the bed, hand still lingering in Percy's as he tried to keep me seated. I finally let go and walked towards Hermione, adjusting Percy's hoodie so that it fell down to just above my knees. I wasn't wearing any trousers.