Chapter 23: The Interrogation

Annabeth POV:

"You weren't seen at the party, is this correct?"

"Yes, but-"

"You were last spotted at the Argo with your friends, is that correct?"

"Well, technically that's not-"

"You were last spotted by those involved in the incident at the Argo, is that correct Miss Chase?"

"Yes, but-"

"Miss Chase, you would do well to remember that you are under interrogation right now and should, by wizarding law, answer all questions precisely and truthfully. Failure to do so will result in the use of the Veritaserum elixir, and in extreme cases, the Cruciatus Curse. Do you understand?"

"That's illegal!"

"No one has to know," The Auror sneered through his teeth. "Now, a simple yes or no will suffice. You were last seen at the Argo?"

"Correct," I answered, feeling petty.

"You were nowhere near the explosion when it happened?"

"Also correct."

"But your boyfriend, Percy Jackson, was found outside the scene of the crime?"

"Correct."

"Coincidence?"

"Correct."

Percy POV:

"Now, Mr Jackson, the way I see it is this: you've denied any accusation against yourself that relates you to the explosion. You swear by it that you did not attend the party because you were in the library with your girlfriend, Annabeth Chase, and the two of you were merely... catching up on some homework. You left the library in search of food – you claim the librarian will testify to this because she heard your conversation. You were outside of the Golden Suite at the time of the explosion, about to enter, blissfully unaware that the explosion was about to take place.

"So, if what you are saying is true, you will need a lot more evidence to help your case."

"Evidence, Sir?"

"Names, Jackson – a true suspect with true intention. The actual murderer, to get you in the clear."

"I don't follow," I frowned. "Why would I know anything – like I said, I wasn't at the party, I didn't see anything."

"But you knew the people there, didn't you? Tell me, did any of them look suspicious to you? The other competitors – did any of them seem like the type of person that could commit murder?"

"No, of course not... all the competitors were great. Trustworthy, good people. Honestly, Sir."

"I find that hard to believe, Jackson, considering a boy was murdered. I have reason to believe it was a competitor that staged the attack – angry, perhaps, that they hadn't succeeded in the trial. I also have reason to believe that explosion was supposed to kill multiple people, competitors mostly, but it didn't strike its true target."

"If you could just tell me who was killed? Please, Sir, I need to know."

"Leo Valdez, of Goode Wizarding School. I believe you knew him well, Jackson."

Harry POV:

"Neville... dead? You have to find out who did this!" I cried. I was battling tears.

"That's why we're here, Potter," the Auror responded. "I need you to tell me names."

"I- I'm not saying anything until Professor Lupin gets here... or Dumbledore at least."