Chapter 61: A Man in The Forest

Annabeth POV:

"Why did you do it?" Percy asked softly. I pressed a little harder and he winced. 

We sat in my tent, alone. Percy had felt tired so we had snuck away from the banquet. I was still tending to his wounds, pressing ointment against his bruises so that they would disappear. His whole body was scarred and bloody, but he still kept a brave face. 

"I had to save you, Perce," I said simply. "I wasn't going to let anything happen to you."

He leant in closer to me so that our faces were inches apart. I carried on staring at his wounds, trying not to get distracted. 

"You could have won-"

"-and lost you-"

"-and used the wand to save me," he answered. I hesitated. 

"I didn't want to take the risk," I said slowly. "When Cedric won the Triwizard Tournament, the trophy had been a portkey. What if the wand had also been a portkey? I would have been transported away from you... and then you would have died. When it comes to your life, Percy, I'm not taking any risks."

His hand reached up for my face and his fingers brushed lightly against my skin. I pressed my head into his palm, kissing his hand delicately. 

"I know there's more," he whispered, and he moved my face so that I had to stare into his eyes. I sighed. "You're keeping a secret from me Annabeth... this isn't like you."

"Because I'm scared, Percy," my words came out softly, barely a whisper. He had to lean in closer to hear me. "You know I wouldn't hide something from you if it wasn't... bad. Scary."

"You can tell me anything," he said earnestly. "I mean it."

I nodded slowly. Of course I knew this, but I had always struggled to form the words in my mouth. 

"There's... there's a prophecy," I said sadly. "Somehow I ended up looking at a prophecy. A bad prophecy. Rachel's known about it for months."

He frowned at me. 

"What kind of prophecy? Another quest? Another enemy?"

I shook my head. "Worse. Another death."

"And the wand?" He asked. 

"It could be strong enough to prevent the prophecy... if so, it's now in better hands."

I thought back to the trial, where Hermione and I had been fighting on the ground, trying to reach the wand. I had had every opportunity to push her aside and win the competition, but the thought of the prophecy had held me back. Then Percy had been screaming - it was like I could also feel his pain - and although I knew that in taking the wand for myself I could have saved Percy with it... I had turned away from. 

His eyes dropped, his hand went still against my cheek. "Who? Who dies?"

And so I brushed my lips against his ear to whisper the truth. 

Hermione POV:

"Where is everyone?" Draco asked. I slid my hand into his. 

"They're on their way, I just thought it'd be nice to have a bit of alone time for now," I smiled. "It feels like I haven't seen you in weeks."

He smiled and wrapped his arms around me. I leant into his warm body. 

"I'm so proud of you," he whispered into my hair. I separated the hug and pulled his hand up to my face, inspecting his nails. 

"Hazel said you were so nervous you bit all your nails off and almost ate your own fingers," I laughed. "I can see what she means."