Chapter 26: Durmstrang v Goode

Hermione POV Continued:

After breakfast, we all made our way to the Quidditch pitch. Everyone of us felt refreshed and excited; whatever was in that food had completely taken away our hangovers, and now we all couldn't think of anything better than watching a quality game of Quidditch between Durmstrang and Goode.

"Hermiowney, do you mind if I valk you down to the pitch?" Krum approached me smartly. "I think it vould give me great luck in the game if I have you by my side now."

I blushed, partly because of his flirting, but also because I didn't know how to tell him that I wanted the opposition to win against him.

"Sure," I replied. "Are you nervous?"

Viktor offered me his arm with a humorous smile plastered on his face. I took his offer hesitantly and we set off towards the pitch.

"Me, nervous?" He laughed. "No. Sometimes, ven I play big games against big teams... slightly nervous, yes. But against schools – of course not."

"Oh, well, um, you seem confident that you'll win."

"That is because I am. Goode played vell against Beauxbatons, but they are nothing compared to Durmstrang. I have much trust in my team and our success. Vill you be cheering us on?"

He looked at me expectantly. I nodded and said nothing, choosing instead to stare at the school grounds.

"Do you not play? You are so good at everything you do; I am sure you vould be the best quidditch player in your school."

"No, I'm actually quite bad," I giggled. "I never did take to flying that easily."

"Then you must not have had a good enough teacher. Perhaps I can teach you some day?"

I thought about it for a moment and then smiled. "Sure, I would like that."

His smile lit up his dark face like a light; I couldn't help but smile more because of it. The happiness in his eyes distracted me from all his rough edges and battle scars. It made him more human.

When we arrived at the pitch – already heaving with Hogwarts students and teachers – I wished Viktor good luck and made my way into the crowd to find my friends (noticing that everyone was there apart from Frank). Annabeth raised an eyebrow at me as I took the empty seat next to her.

"Viktor Krum?" She teased. I shoved her shoulder.

"Don't say a word," I rolled my eyes, making her laugh. Behind us, I heard Draco cough loudly. I chose to ignore it, not wanting to make eye contact.

The crowd around us roared suddenly, indicating that the players were walking on to the pitch. On strolled Krum, dressed all in black and dark red, marching at the head of a spear formation with his team in tow. He raised his broom into the air, face expressionless and body rigid, and stared up at the crowd. When his eyes settled on me, he smiled calmly.

Karkaroff – sitting in the stand opposite from mine – started a chant amongst the students from Durmstrang and Slytherin. The students, as well as Karkaroff, banged their chests like animals and howled out support for their team. Annabeth stared at them as if she were about to commit murder, reminding me how competitive she was.

Out walked Goode; Jason Grace at the front, looking as golden and confident as ever, followed by Percy, Travis, Thalia, Clarisse, Hazel and Connor. All of them smiled up at the crowd and waved when they saw our group of assorted Goode and Gryffindor students. We started to chant as loud as we could to drown out our opposition.

"So, why didn't you want to play today?" I asked Piper, who was sat on the other side of Annabeth. I had to yell over the noise of the crowd.

"Too hungover," Piper laughed. "You guys got a nice breakfast that seemed to do the job for you, so I thought it was best if Hazel took my place. Same with Reyna, she's practically still drunk from all that tequila she had with Annabeth last night. Clarisse had to take her place – she's better with hangovers."