Chapter 21: The Golden Party

Author's Note 07/07/2020 - VERY IMPORTANT

I'VE JUST CHANGED THE LAST TWO CHAPTERS QUITE SIGNIFICANTLY SO CURRENT READERS WILL NEED TO REREAD THEM (sorry). Chapter 19 has changed massively near the end and chapter 20 has changed near the start. Please give them a read because the change is VERY important to the story. Thanks :)

HARRY POV:

"Ron, can you stop complaining for just one second?" Ginny snapped. I hid a laugh behind my drink.

"What? What? All I'm saying is that you really should be seeing them as the enemy," Ron defended himself. "Have you forgotten that you were competing against them? It wasn't a competition to make the most friends – it was to win."

"If we use that logic then none of us are friends," Luna said amiably, staring off into the air. "Only one of us could have won... we weren't in teams. Besides, what does it matter now? We all lost."

"She's got you there, bud," Draco chuckled and clapped Ron on the back. "Just try to have a little fun."

Draco nodded and strolled off to join Hermione's growing group of friends, consisting of Krum, Jason, and Katie Gardner (Hermione's invite). Ron scowled at Draco's back as he left.

"What's that face for? Don't be bitter, Draco did invite you," I pointed out.

"Which I've been meaning to talk to you about, by the way," Ron answered, ignoring my question. "How come he invited me, and you didn't?"

"Oh, don't be childish Ron," Ginny laughed. "You and Harry are Draco's only two friends – Harry just did him a favour by letting you be his invite."

"You two can carry on with this siblingy love, I'm going to enjoy the party," I nodded at the two of them from over my drink and then quickly turned to inspect the rest of The Golden Party. The room was unrecognizable from its usual layout; what was once a large room filled up with plush furniture that gave off the illusion of warmth and comfort was now an open space littered with tipsy people, ornate fountains flowing full with alcohol and golden statues of handsome people that would wink at you if you stared too long. Music blasted from invisible speakers, food was served by invisible waiters and Mr Filch was dancing with what I could only assume was an invisible person.

I pushed through the crowd – consisting of teachers, competitors, and their guests - in search of friend. I passed Hermione, blushing slightly as she told a funny story to Draco, Jason and Krum. I assumed it had to be a very funny story, not because I could hear any of it but because the three boys were staring at her with their undivided attention and laughed loudly. I raised an eyebrow at the scene.

Next, I passed Katie, Piper and Leo (all clearly quite drunk despite the fact that the party had only started ten minutes ago) trying to chase an invisible waiter. I then passed Will and Nico, who had made the friends with the Beauxbatons girls and were both talking so theatrically I was convinced Nico had been possessed. The girls smiled and placed friendly hands on Will and Nico when they leaned forwards to laugh, which was so uncharacteristically kind of Beauxbatons girls that I had to presume they were all completely drunk.

The boys of Durmstrang had lifted their Headmaster on their shoulders and paraded him around the designated dance floor, doing well to avoid Professor Dionysus, who gave them one disapproving look before belching and stumbling towards an alcohol fountain. Loud rock music blasted out of the invisible speakers, which is why I had to frown at Dumbledore and McGonagall, who danced the waltz as if Mozart were playing instead. Professor Brunner stood to the side of the room talking amiably with Professor Trelawny, Professor Hooch looked like she wanted to wrestle with the satyr talking to her (the guy was wearing gym clothes and holding a baseball bat, which was possibly the weirdest thing I had seen so far), Hagrid was clearly trying his best to flirt with Madame Maxime, meanwhile Tonks and Lupin rocked out to the music in the most Tonks-like way I could imagine. I smiled, thinking about joining the two, before remembering that within Hogwarts I had to see them both as my seniors and not my friends.