7 - You probably broke his nose

"Millie, would you like another drink?" Paul shouts, trying to be louder than the music. I put my thumbs up and nod. I've lost count on how many drinks I've had by now but I'm having fun. That's what matters, right?

Paul is Hunter's sound engineer. We have been hanging out a couple of times after Hunter's concerts lately and I really like spending time with him. He and Karen are kind of the only people I was able to spend some time with here after work and it's nice to be able to talk to someone around my age who isn't a super model or pop star. 

I don't know how long we've been dancing by now, but I do know we're both getting a little drunk. I decide that this next drink is going to be my last for the evening. I really don't want a hangover tomorrow. I've got my day off all planned out and wasting my time in bed all day because of a hangover isn't part of the plan. If I stop now, I could probably still save tomorrow.

While waiting for Paul to come back with our drinks, I check my phone and see that I have one new message. 

From Laila, 01:03
Enjoy honey, you deserve it! Call me later with full details? Ly. X

I smile at my phone, wishing she was here with me. She's been my best friend since I studied at NYU. We were roommates in our freshman year and clicked immediately. She reminds me of my sister Ali.

Just like Ali, Laila is very outspoken. She will always say whatever she's thinking. That's actually what I like most about her. You get what you see. No bullshit. 

We are each others opposites in every way, but that's why we work so well as friends. Even physically, we're nothing alike. She's a blonde and has the body of a supermodel accompanied with a pretty face. To top it all off, she's one of the smartest people I know.
Somehow she also manages to be one of the most down to earth people I've ever encountered. 

When I look up from my phone, I see a man grinning at me. He's not much taller than me, but very muscled. He has a square shaped face with a dark stubble on it. Something about the way he looks at me sends a shiver down my spine - and it's not the good kind. 

I smile back, just to be polite and regret it the second I realize he's making his way over to me.

"Hello princess, are you new in town? I don't think I've ever seen you here before."

"Just passing through," I answer truthfully, wondering what's keeping Paul so long.

"Want a drink?"

"No, thank you." I answer dryly before adding "My boyfriend is getting us a drink as we speak." I look towards the bar again, hoping he would get the message.

This guy doesn't need to know that he's more Paul's type than I am.

It looks like my plan works because he just nods and makes his way back to his group of friends.

I sigh in relief. Thank God. I didn't want to spend a minute longer with that creep. 

Paul still isn't back, and I'm really starting to feel the alcohol by now.
The room is spinning...it isn't supposed to do that, is it? 
I desperately need to get some fresh air. 

After scanning the room for a couple of seconds, my eyes land on the - what I hope to be - outside doors. The second I open them, I welcome the cool air that hits my face. Exactly what I needed. 

I pull out my phone to text Paul. I need to let him know where I went. I'm in the middle of typing the message when someone yanks my arm. My eyes widen when I see who it is. 

The guy from inside. Great. 

Before I can back away, he pulls me to him, "I couldn't let a pretty girl like you walk out all alone on the streets now, could I? You never know who's out there."

"You mean creeps like you? Just let me go, okay? My boyfriend can be here any minute." I try to sound confident, but I know my voice comes out shaky.

"Not before you give me a little kiss, princess." His breath reeks of alcohol and cigarettes. 
Before I get the time to react, he plants his lips on mine. I try to pull my head back while pressing my lips tightly together.  

I try to wriggle myself out of his grip, but he is too strong. 
Fuck.
How the hell did I end up in this situation.

Because I was trying to have fun and lost control of the situation. That's how.

Panic is beginning to flood my mind when all the possible scenarios of how this can end are running through my head. 

"

Let go of her, you asshole."

Hunter. Thank God. 

He sounds furious. Within the blink of an eye, his fists hit the pervert's face and when he falls to the floor, I can see the blood streaming from his nose. Good. 

"If you ever touch a girl without consent again, a broken nose will be the least of your problems," he screams while pointing towards him. The creep stays on the ground, holding up his arms in defense. He scrambles to his feet and practically runs away... Pathetic. 

Hunter still looks like he's going to explode, debating if he should run after that guy or just let him go. 

"Hunter, calm down. It's fine...I'm...I'm fine. See?" I put my hands on his cheeks and make him look at me. "We need to go before someone recognizes you. Before you know it, there will be paparazzi everywhere."

"I don't care about that, Millie. Not right now. This asshole needs to know he won't get away with this."

"He won't... you probably broke his nose, remember?" I smile at him, my eyes never leaving his, trying to calm him down. It takes a few seconds before my words sink in, but when they do, Hunter visibly relaxes.

"Let's go. He isn't worth it." I say, meaning every word and take his hand in mine. He looks surprised and I'm not sure if it's because I took his hand in mine or because of what I just said. He answers my question before I can even ask. "I know. I'm just surprised you're this calm." 

"Well, I think my head isn't functioning the way it should. I'm still in shock... maybe even a little drunk?" 

He shakes his head and I see his lips lift upward, the reaction I was looking for. "Do you want to get back to the hotel?"

"Yes please...we should get inside first and inform the others we're going back."

"No, it's fine. I'll come back for them. I'll call Luke to pick us up." He answers and I know by the tone in his voice he won't let me argue with him on the subject. Not that I mind. I just want to leave this place as fast as I can.