19 - Breathe

I finally get why famous people love to wear sunglasses all the time.

I always thought it was because they wouldn't get recognized that easily, or because they look even better when wearing them. It can be part of the reason, but now I just think it's to protect their eyes.

I'm practically blind by now, and we're only halfway down the red carpet.

Kudos to Kimmy. She really has this thing down. As Hunter was born to sing, to perform, she clearly was given the same gift when it comes to posing.

They both look so, so beautiful.
Hunter is wearing the black dress pants he showed me a few days ago, black button up shirt - sans frogs this time - and a grey blazer.
Kimmy matches his outfit with a glittery dusty pink, off the shoulders cocktail dress.

Hunter's arm fits perfectly round her waist, and the color of her deep blue eyes match his jade green ones.
How can two already gorgeous people look even better when they're together?

When I start to make my way over to them, informing them it's time to move on to the next heap of photographers, Kimmy kisses Hunter full on the lips. Earning cheers from the crowd.

Well, no point in trying to deny it any longer...I definitely don't like it when she does that.

I give them a small smile, before looking at my feet.
Awkward...

When I look back up, I can see Hunter is looking straigth at me. Slowly shaking his head.

Not sure how to read that.

This whole scene repeats itself a couple more times and I let out an actual sigh in relief when we reach the end of the red-carpet event. Not only because the public display of affection I needed to watch between Hunter and Kimmy is finally over, but mostly because I didn't trip over anything while half the world was watching me.

Well, not really me, but you get what I'm trying to say. 

Small victories, am I right?

"You did good on your first red carpet..." Hunter whispers in my ear, catching me in surprise from behind. He laughs when he notices the small I jump I make. "Didn't want to startle you there, Mills".

I turn around, facing him. "You've done worse in the startling department." I say without thinking.

"When?" He asks, a surprised smile present on his very handsome face.

"Well...remember that time you pinned me against one of those cherry blossom trees? Didn't really expect that."

"And how was that worse?" He bites his lip, putting his hands in his neck. The classic Hunter-move when he gets nervous.

I have no idea what's gotten into me, why I'm feeling this brave. But I sure do like the change in dynamics.

"You're right. It was a lot of things, but 'worse' wasn't any of them." I answer, clicking my tongue while going through the schedule for the rest of the night.

Look at me, being casual and all.
And I didn't even have a drink yet!
Leila would be so proud.

"What are you doing, Millie? Do you want me to kiss you here in front of every single one of those photographers?" He points towards them, reinforcing what he is saying. "Because it's taking every ounce of my self control not to at the moment." He says in a low voice and his tone immediately sends a shiver running down my spine - the good kind this time.

I gulp, immediately taking a step backwards.
He's out of my league playing these kind of games, that's for sure.

Well, casual and brave Millie was fun while she lasted - all five seconds of her - but now I think it's time for professional Millie to take over again.

I clear my throat, while frantically nodding my head. "Good, well, uhm, you need to be in your seat in ten minutes. Where is Kimmy? She needs to enter with you... Then there's another ten minutes before the first category you're nominated in will be presented. You know what to do when you win, yes? No? You've got your speech? And do you know when you need to go and change for the performance?"

I'm well aware I sound like a complete mental person, rambling on and on about stuff we've been through at least twelve times this morning alone.

"Breathe, Millie. I've got this." He reassuringly grabs my shoulders, making eye contact.

"I'm Hunter Rivers, remember?"

----------

He really was Hunter Rivers.
The best version of him for that matter.

He killed it on that gigantic stage, and later charmed everyone with his acceptance speeches.
All four of them.
Addressing a different pressing social or environmental issue in each one of them.

He wrote those by himself by the way, I had nothing to do with that.

Oh, and in case you were wondering - they only filmed Kimmy from her left side.
Yes, that was the good side.

It was an amazing night, one I was surely never going to forget.

I even made it to my first after party!

It was nice I guess, but it wasn't as great as I had always expected them to be. Maybe that's because I wasn't on the in. I had a couple of drinks, danced a little and said my goodbyes. No matter how you look at it, to me, this was all very work related.

That's why I was gratefull being back in my - yep, you guessed it - white room and could finally take these damn heels off.
They are very pretty, yes.
Comfortable? Not so much.

Just when I was about to throw myself on the bed I hear a knock on the door.

Paul.

I was surprised he wasn't already camping in front of my room the moment I stepped outside the elevator doors. He's been texting me all night, asking how it was, what I ate, if I saw Taylor Swift...

I actually did see her and I just know he is dying for details.

That's why you can probably imagine the surprise on my face when I open the door and find that not Paul, but Hunter is the one standing outside of my room.