Chapter Six

It wasn't long before I was back at school again, but I didn't mind it all that much. Besides, it distracted me from my dwindling thoughts about the future, and how terrifying it was that I was going to be graduating soon enough.

 I was glad to be in the warmth of the library, and not destined to spend any prolonged moments in the cold northern European weather, outside. It was actually beginning to become very foggy, too, which just filled me with this unsettling feeling, though that may have just come from the chili quesadillas I had at lunch. 

I just rested my face in my palm, covering up the beauty mark on my cheek, as I tried to focus on the reading materials in front of me. Shakespeare. Shakespeare was easy enough to study. I didn't really have anything to worry about, here. I mean, after ten years of school learning about him, you would expect for me to not have any problem writing about him, right? Despite that fact, I still found myself distracted by my thoughts. I was thinking of Jase, and of whether our relationship would truly be able to survive college and the aftermath. 

If I kept idealising this future between the two of us, was I just setting myself up to be heartbroken in the end? 

I didn't really want to think about it all that much. 

Besides, it was important to be hopeful about the future, and I had only ever been an optimist when possible, even if people occasionally told me that I had lofty ideals for my future. I supposed that I just wanted the best for myself. I supposed that most of these worries just stemmed from me wanting a peaceful future, and then people like the great Sara Bridgers would come along and threaten that. 

At least I would be able to speak to Brooke about this, after class. I was glad that the two of us were becoming closer. 

Anyway, I continued to write up my notes for the lesson, and soon enough found that I only had five minutes to go. 

Time seemed to drag, until I entered my daydream land that is, and then it would just spiral rapidly out of my grip, and I would find myself feeling as though I might never have enough time at school. 

As I walked out of that lesson for the day, I just found myself trying to keep an open-mind. Anything could happen in the future, and I needn't keep worrying about events that hadn't come to pass yet. 

Jase smiled towards me, once he approached my locker. 

"Do you want to take a walk around the city?" he asked me. 

"In London? With me, the known agoraphobic?" I only partially joked. 

"It's fine. We're going to take a walk through the forest," Brooke assured me, as she nodded her head in the direction of Sara, who just seemed to plaster a smile on her face. I couldn't tell if it was genuine or not, but it looked as though it would falter soon enough, like a bad wallpaper job. It wouldn't last forever. 

"Joy. Let's go," Sara said, as she began to walk ahead of us. 

We walked out into the cold air of the day, and began to make our way to the nearest forest. Fortunately it only took a few bus journeys to get there. 

Jase moved a hand through his slightly messed-up brown hair, as we continued our walk over fallen tree branches and damp leaves on the ground beneath our feet. 

I could tell that Jase had something on his mind, for his jaw was twitching in that way it always did when he was thinking about something, but I wasn't about to question him too much on it. He could be incredibly independent when he wanted to be, and I never liked to intrude. 

I knew that it was important for the two of us to talk to each other, but still, I wasn't about to demand anything from him. 

The fog was beginning to clear, which I was glad to see, as the air around us became a little warmer.