Chapter Sixteen

In the end, it had been an interesting trip, just admittedly for different reasons. Clary and Daniel had ended up confessing their feelings for each other on the last evening, and then kissed. In the meantime, Brooke and I had become a lot closer, and although I still wasn't so sure why she had been so quick to end the game of spin the bottle, I had decided to lay thoughts about that to rest. We all had a right to keeping secrets, after all. 

"Morning, buttercup," I greeted Brooke, as I moved over to her sleeping bag. 

She just held her middle finger up at me, while her eyes remained closed.  

"Um, rude," I said. 

Brooke quickly sat up in her sleeping bag, and cursed under her breath. 

"Sorry, sweets. Force of habit," she said, as she rubbed her eyes sleepily. 

"Ready to go?" I asked her. 

I had already changed into my white t-shirt and jeans. 

"I will be soon. Just give me a minute. Have the others already left?" she asked me. 

I nodded in agreement to that. 

"Alright," she said, "Good thing I took a shower last night, huh?" 

She quickly brushed through her hair, and then I turned around so that she could get changed. I ended up turning around a little too early, and caught a glimpse of Brooke in her ruby red bra. Her chest was quite a lot larger than mine, but I had never been the type of person to feel too self-conscious about that. 

Brooke just pulled on her top, thankfully not noticing that I had been looking at her, and the two of us soon walked out of the tent. 

We took it down, packed up our remaining items, and then walked back over to her car. 

Within an hour, I was back home. 

"Hey, I had a lot of fun. So, thank you," Brooke said to me, then. 

I turned to her and smiled back at her. 

"Me too, Brooke," I replied, "I'll see you around." 

"Duh," Brooke told me, as she waved to me. 

I stepped out of the car, and then walked back up to enter my house, where I had found my brother busily preparing the house. 

"Let me guess, Beth's visiting soon?"  I asked him. 

"Everything has to be perfect," he stated. 

"Okay, CEO of OCD. Do you want a little help?" I asked him, as I began to place my backpack down. 

"Not there!" he replied swiftly. 

I quickly grabbed the bag back into my chest. 

"Okay, I'll go place this upstairs, then?" I said. 

"Perfect," Mikael replied. 

Once I got to my room, I really couldn't help but smile to myself. I truly had an amazing time on the camping trip with Brooke and the others, and I felt as though my heart had healed a lot during my time away. 

There was nothing like getting into nature again to help you find yourself. I supposed the long evenings spent gazing up at the stars had made me somewhat sentimental. I placed the bag down, and just sat upon my bed briefly. 

I looked through my luggage, and soon found that I had mixed up one of my favourite hoodies with Brooke's things. 

"Damn it," I cursed to myself. I supposed I was just going to have to get that back from her later, then.