Chapter 27

We finally arrived at school and walked out of the limo.

     As we were walking towards our dorms, I heard a voice I don't want to hear.

     "Ben! There you are, cotillion's tonight. Come here." Jane said, making me roll my eyes.

     I felt a hand grabbed mine and Carlos kissed the back of it.

     "I want to talk to you before practice."

     I nodded. "Yeah, sure. Just let me change first."

     Carlos smiled at me as he hugged me sideways.

     Evie walked up to Mal as she looked over at our direction, and they walked ahead from me, Carlos, and Jay.

     "We need to talk." Evie said, holding Mal's arm.

     "Yeah." Mal replied, holding her hand.

     "No." They turned around and looked at Carlos.

     "No?" Evie asked, confused.

     "You guys are always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk, stuff, or whatever." Carlos said then looked at Jay and me.

     "And, Jay and I are tired of it." Carlos added, looking back at the two girls.

     "I'm not!" Jay and I said in unison, making us glance at Carlos' disapproving face.

     "We're your family too. We've been through a lot, together. I'm not stopping that now." Carlos said, staring at the four of us.

     "Everyone sit!" Carlos took a seat on the ground, waiting for us to follow him.

     "Come on." He grabbed my hand and I slowly sat down next to him.

     The others following as well.

     "I don't know how to start girl talk." Carlos admitted after a moment of silence.

     "What up?" Jay chimed in, making me and Evie chuckle.

     "Um," Mal started.

     Evie and I stopped and let her continue,

     "Well, I'm a mess. I'm such a mess." Mal started but her voice sounded like she was about to cry.

     I put a hand on one of her shoulders as Evie did so.

     "Six months ago, I was. You know, stealing candy from babies and now, everyone wants me to be this lady of the court. And I have no idea how to keep up the act." Mal confessed.

     "Then don't." Carlos said as if it was obvious.

     "See, this was dumb." Jay said, starting to get up.

     "Maybe it wasn't." Evie cut in, making him sit back down.

     She turned to Mal and held her hand, then turned to us.

     "We're always gonna be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget it, I really tried but... Those are our roots. And we all did what we had to do, to survive."

     Evie looked at Mal again, "It made us who we are. And we're never gonna be like anybody else here. And that's okay, that's okay."

     "And we can't fake it." Carlos said, looking at me.

     "No." Evie replied with a sad smile.

     "Yeah, especially without my spell book." Mal said, looking down.

     "Mal, if Ben doesn't love the real you, then he's not the one." I said, holding Carlos' hands as I looked at Mal.

     "I like that." Evie said, giving a smile my way.

     "Give him a chance." I added, glancing at Carlos.

     He gave me a sad smile and looked away from me.

     "I'm gonna make some changes to your dress. If you're up for it, only if you're up for it." Evie said to her, turning her body towards Mal.

     "It'll be waiting for you, okay?" Mal nodded and Evie hugged her bestfriend.

     Evie nodded at us as we stood up, we left Mal on the ground so she can be able to think.

     "Hey, I'll see you guys at practice. Don't be late!" I pointed at Carlos and Jay as I linked my arms with Evie's.

     "I wouldn't dream of it." Jay said as he walked towards the boys' dorm.

     Evie and I started to walk away when I remembered Harry's hat.

     "Wait! I placed the pirate hat on Dude's head! I won't be long, Evie!"

     I ran towards the direction Dude and Carlos went.

     "Girls talk? Crushed it!"

     I heard Dude's voice by a hedge and was about to walk towards the two when I heard Carlos said, "Yeah, except when it comes to telling (Y/N) the truth, I'm a total chicken."

     Truth? What did he mean by truth?

     "I'm gonna paraphrase one of the bravest people I know." Dude sat down and Carlos crouched down infront of him.

     "If she does not like you, then she is not the one for you."

     Carlos chuckled.

     "You really are a man's bestfriend. Even though I didn't said that." He scratched Dude's chin as the bell ringed.

     "Guys!" I shouted, running towards the two.

     "(Y/N)! How long have you been there?" Carlos asked, his eyes widened.

     "Not long, I was gonna get the hat I put on Dude." I lied, crouching down to the talking dog.

     "It's mine now! It smells funny, but it's mine."

     I laughed as I scratched the back of his ear.

     "Okay. But when you're done with it, give it back to me asap."

     "Yes, ma'am!"

     I stood back up and looked at Carlos' nervous face.

     "Is something wrong, Carlos?"

     He shook his head. "It's nothing, see you at practice."

     Carlos and Dude walked away from me as I stared at the back of his head.

     What kind of truth does he want to tell me? And why does it make me feel worried?