The Ferret

Draco had been working tirelessly for the past week. He couldn't remember the last time he looked away from the screen, and he didn't think that was a good thing. He was almost done with his calculus final, but it wasn't over yet. He was so tired and was thinking about just going to sleep right then and there (even though it was one in the afternoon). Even the thought of his upcoming birthday couldn't cheer him up. He was about to give up on staying awake when he heard a knock on his office door.

"Come in," Draco tiredly said.

"Thanks. Now, do you know why I'm here?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know; maybe because you live here?" Draco sarcastically guessed.

Hermione gave him a hard look and grabbed his arm. "What the heck? Let me go!" Draco protested as she dragged him through the apartment and threw him out the front door. She stepped outside with him and locked the door behind herself. Hermione kept dragging him until they had gone down the elevator and ended up in the parking lot.

"What was that for? A little longer, and I might have lost an arm," Draco exclaimed.

"Oh, stop being so dramatic. You would not have lost an arm. Now, I am going to ask another question: Why do you think I just dragged you out here? Answer seriously."

Draco pretended to think before saying, "You want to sabotage my final?"

"No," Hermione said defensively.

"Then I don't know."

"You need fresh air. You've been in that office for way too long. We are going for a walk around the area. I will let you go back inside only to change into real shoes and not just bunny slippers. Be warned, if you don't come back outside there will be consequences," Hermione threatened.

"Woah, chill. I'll be right back." Draco glanced warily towards Hermione and quickly headed back to the apartment. He changed into some Nike Air Forces and put on some shorts to replace the sweatpants he had been wearing for a while. He was honestly embarrassed at how messy he had been for the past week. Usually, he thought he was pretty well put together, but his room was a mess, his office was a mess, and his clothes were a mess. He headed back downstairs and out the front door to Hermione who was on her phone patiently waiting for him.

 He headed back downstairs and out the front door to Hermione who was on her phone patiently waiting for him

"Are you ready?" she asked.

"Yep."

They walked all over their neighborhood and talked about everything. They talked about their majors (business for Draco and pre-law for Hermione), how their sophomore finals were going so far, and how Hermione was already done with her finals. Once they made a full loop and were back in the parking lot of their apartment building, they stopped. "Thanks, Hermione, that was-" Draco stopped when he saw something white and brown run behind Hermione. He let out a high-pitched scream and ran to stand on the hood of the closest car which happened to be Hermione's. It was a ferret!

Hermione furrowed her eyebrows in confusion as to why Draco was screaming like a 10-year-old girl until she, too, spotted the ferret. She burst out laughing, and slowly crouched down to pick it up. "HERMIONE STOP. IT COULD HAVE RABIES!" Draco bellowed in a totally different pitch from his girly scream.

"No, you stop, silly. This is our neighbor's pet ferret named Aragog. How have you not met our neighbor or her ferret?" Hermione asked. "Her name is Arabella Figg. Oh, here she is now." "Hello, Ms. Figg. I see Aragog got out again."

"Oh, thank you, dearie

"Oh, thank you, dearie. He is such a prankster. I'll take him now." Hermione handed Aragog over to Ms. Figg who promptly went right back inside without uttering a single word to Draco. He had watched the whole encounter from the hood of Hermione's car. She walked over to Draco and sat down next to him.

"How can you be scared of ferrets? They are the least scary things ever," Hermione got out between laughs.

"It surprised me, that's all," Draco quickly replied.

"Sure..." Hermione said trying not to laugh.

"Ugg, let's just go back inside," Draco said embarrassed.

"I didn't even know Draco Malfoy's voice could reach that high," Hermione said while they headed back inside. Draco would never admit it, but he had thoroughly enjoyed the walk.

OMG guys I am so sorry I haven't updated in a while. I hit a bit of writer's block and the whole standardized testing thing. I don't know if you could tell, but this chapter was me "ranting" about tests. It was a long chapter, but I think it turned out good. It has been really smoky in Cali lately because of some fires and I haven't been able to go outside which made the Iready testing even worse. Iready is the standardized testing.

-Ms. Scarlet