Rise 19

Rise 19
A Deity in Disguised

People think my heart is full of kindness. They think I' am always earnest. If only they knew in all truthfulness. That deep within, even myself is afraid of my own darkness.”
- TheLiesoftheBlessed, by A. Sterling

Matapos mawala ang liwanag na bumabalot sa buong kapaligiran, natagpuan ni Leona ang sarili na mag-isang nakatayo aa isang kakahuyan.

“Eh? I’m alone??” she muttered

Naresulba agad ang problema nya kung paano sya hihiwalay sa grupo.

“Hmm? This place seems familiar..” komento ni Arius

“Aries there are eyes watching us.” Paalala ni Leona dahil napansin nyang may mga lumilipad na spirits sa paligid, probably sharing their vision with their masters and observing the exam.

“Are you worried about me? Hehe you really care about me huh? I knew it..” masayang tugon ni Arius

“Dont flatter your self.” Tugon ni Leona

Arius chuckled.. “Dont worry, those weaklings cant see me.”

“This is an exam, do not interfere.” Leona

“I wont hehe..” Arius

Leona crossed her arms, obviously not believing his words.

“Hey, Im serious. I wont interfere.” Arius said helplessly

“Okay, I’ll believe you.” Leona finally agreed

Her golden locks slowly turned black, visible to the naked eye.

Alanis Fauna.

The hunt has began.

***

Amanda wanted to cry. She really hate this time of the year. She’s an emitter major, a future healer and pillar of her hometown. But she cant understand why they were force to join this bloody exam. Yes, she’s serious, this exam is really bloody with people hurting each other for points. As a person who pursue helping others, how could she bear to hurt them?

She envies those who pursues engineering, architecture, fine arts, and culinary because they were exempted from the exam! Well exempted is just the word they used to gently advise them that they’re not qualified for the exam. As an Emitter Major, Amanda wanted to be exempted as well! So unfair!

She wonder if her friends are safe..? Hopefully they’re out of danger, specially Leona, she’s new to all of this.

As emitter majors, the others will definitely target them so all they can do is evade and hide, lasting for a while will also be considered points even if they cant hunt others for their examinee number. She advised Leona to do that and her friend readily agreed as if that was her plan all along. Hopefully all of her friends were safe.

“Looky here, how lucky.” A guy appeared out of the bushes

Amanda froze.. She wanted to cry. She’s very unlucky. The exam just began, and she’s about to be eliminated!

So, she ran away!

“Hey!” the guy ran after her

Amanda didnt even bother to look back, afraid that she might lose her momentum. She must get away as fast as she could!

“It’s useless to run!” the guy shouted, his voice very close behind.

Amanda really wants to cry now. She was about to lose hope when a dark silhouette passed by like the wind.

She heard the guy groaning in pain behind. This time she looked back and saw someone unexpected.

“Nooooo!” the guy shouted before he vanished with a flash of light.

“L-lady Alanis....” Amanda muttered warily

Is she here to hunt her number too?

“Head south.” Alanis said coldly before she vanished within the shadows of the trees.

Was she saved by the infamous Alanis Fauna??

But why??

South?? Is it safe there?

She didn’t hesitate further. She headed south.

***

“Defend!” sigaw ni Sean sa mga kapwa slayer

It’s been several hours since the exam begun. Instead of fighting each other, the Slayer majors decided to join hands and created the Empress Protection Squad. Their goal is to search for Alanis and protect her, eliminating the other students on the way, killing two birds with one stone.

However, they encountered a group of Spiritist majors, who also joined hands to target Alanis.

It’s an intense battle!

The audience composing of the younger students and the eliminated ones, focused their attention on this specific battle. Some were cheering for the Spiritists, but most were cheering for the Slayers. The reason for this is obviously because the eliminated students watching were mostly emitter and slayer majors.

“Who do you think will win?” one of the younger students asked his friends
“Obviously the spiritists..”
“But the slayers were doing a good job fighting on almost equal grounds.”
“That’s because the spiritists were not using their summoned spirits yet. Wait for it and those slayers will be eliminated in one go.”
“No, we have to cheer the slayers!” an eliminated student interjected
“But where is Lady Alanis?”
“Who knows..?”
“She’s probably hiding somewhere.”
“That cant be right. I saw her in one of the projections earlier.” Said one student
“Me too.. She’s really fast though.”
“She’s a slayer major so she specializes in physical combats. She’s definitely athletic.”
“Ehh? Isn’t that person Lady Alanis?” said one while pointing at the screen
“Where??”
“Over there! She’s sitting at the top of a tree, watching Sir Sean being beaten.”
“...........”
“ Was she there all along?”
“...... I dont know..?”

***

Sean was about to lost hope. There were ten people on his team, but they were reduced to four in just a few exchanged of attacks.

Boss, wherever you are, I hope you’re safe.. A lot of people are targeting you.’ Sa isip ni Sean, finally giving in to his fate. He look down on his wrist band where his examinee number is attached. He’s going to be eliminated.

However, a dagger flew pass him, hitting the wrist band of the spiritist majors on the other side. Three people vanished in a flash of light after their number flew in the air because of that dagger.

“Who—” before the words even escaped his mouth, three more people vanished in a flash of light.

The remaining five spiritist panicked. There were originally twelve of them. One was eliminated because of the slayers. They obviously have the upper hand on this battle. But in a span of a few seconds, six of their comrades were eliminated by a new force. Is it another group of slayers? Do they have a back up?

“Boss!” masayang sigaw ni Sean nang makita ang kaibigan.

“Why’re you so weak??” nagtatakang tanong ni Leona sa binata.. She’s been observing their battle for a while now, however she was disappointed with their fight. Both sides were weak!

Tila may tumarak na punyal sa puso ni Sean.. Minamaliit sya ng kaibigan!

Leona is posing as Alanis so she cant heal Sean’s wounds.

“Do you want me to end your sufferings??” tanong ni Leona sa kaibigan

“Of course!” walang pag-aalinlangang tugon ni Sean.. With his boss’ fighting skills, they can definitely win if they join hands!

Sean is overjoyed. Makakaganti na din sya sa mga kalaban!

Subalit nagtaka sya noong bigla syang nabalot ng liwanag kasabay ng pagsulpot ni Alanis Fauna sa kanyang tabi.

Wait---

And he’s gone!

“Ehh? Why is his face screaming the word TRAITOR? Was there a misunderstanding somewhere?” nagtatakang tanong ni Leona sa sarili habang hawak ang Examinee Number ni Sean na tahimik nyang kinuha mula sa binata. Sean once said that he’s not interested with rankings so Leona simply ends his sufferings by stealing his number. She only acted out of kindness of her heart.

“.............” everyone

“.............” the audience watching the broadcast

Leona simply put the question at the back of her mind. She turned her attention to the group of spiritists.

“Kindly surrender your examinee numbers if you dont want to get hurt.” Suggest nya sa mga kalaban

But they took her kindness the wrong way.

“How arrogant! Attack her!”

And so, they end up getting hurt in the end.

***

“S-she singlehandedly took care of those spiritists...”
“How ruthless, she didn’t even spared her friend. Poor Sir Sean..”
“Isn’t she too good?”
“She’s just a slayer major.. But why is she so fierce?”
“I think she can enter the top 500..”
“To think that she’s not even using spiritual powers.”
“She’s cool!”

Walang kamalayan si Leona sa nagaganap na diskusyon ng mga manonood. Patuloy na umusad ang exam, sa ikalimang oras ay nadiskubre ng isang graduating student ang pinagtataguan ng mga emitters sa timog. Sa kabila ng kanilang elimination, masaya pa din ang mga emitters dahil ito ang unang pagkakataon na tumagal sila ng limang oras sa exam. Sa mga nakaraang taon ay himala na na makatagal sila ng isa o dalawang oras.

Sa ikapitong oras sa loob ng arena, mayroon na lamang mahigit-kumulang isangdaang kalahok.

“Kyaahhhhh! Ang astig talaga ni Emperor Damon!” tili ng isang fangirl ni Damon habang pinapanood ang live broadcast
“Mahusay din si President Alexander!”
“Ang gwapo ni Prince Luciano!”
“Ang cool ni Sir Alfonse!”
“Wala silang binatbat kay Sir Cornelius!”
“Lady Shallistera from Student Council is also very powerful.”
“Sir Asher for the win!”
“Im betting my money on Prince Hendrix of Solair!”
“Tsk, I bet the graduating students will reign as winners!”
“I heard the strongest student from the graduating batch is Sir Kakashi from Kosen!”
“No, among the senior students Prince Levinus is the strongest!”
“Dont forget Lady Miruca! She’s very powerful!”
“Prince Lorenzo too!”
“Hey, you guys are forgetting about someone!”
“Ehh??”
“Lady Alanis!”
“She’s really scary!”
“But I bet she won’t win against the elites! She’s just a slayer afterall.”
“Well you have a point.”
“Hey look! Prince Levinus and Prince Hendrix’ battle is about to end!!” sigaw ng isang manonood

Napunta ang atensyon ng lahat sa laban sa pagitan ng crown prince ng Solas at prinsepe ng Solair.

Sa loob ng arena, dalawang binata ang magkaharap.

“I call forth to the power of earth. Pierce through his defence and break his stance! EARTH LANCE!” sigaw ni Levinus

Kasabay nya ay ang pagtawag ni Prince Hendrix sa sarili nitong elemento, “Spirit of Water, the giver of life, I call forth to you to send a powerful flood to my enemy! AQUA BURST!”

At isang malakas na pagsabog ang umalingawngaw sa lugar.

Noong humupa ang makapal na usok at alikabok, makikita ang dalawang binata na nakalugmok sa lupa.

“So it’s a tie?” Hindi makapaniwalang tanong ni Levinus

“Tsk.” Hindi rin matanggap ni Hendrix ang resulta ng kanilang laban

“That’s a good one.” Komento ng isang tinig kaya naagaw ang atensyon ng dalawang prinsepe

Isang babae ang lumitaw mula sa mga anino.

Alanis Fauna.

Gustong tumayo ni Hendrix para harapin ang bagong kalaban, subalit wala na syang lakas.

“Ah, it’s you. Just take my number, I dont have any strength left.” Kalmadong saad ni Levinus.. Deep inside nagpapasalamat sya na may excuse sya para ibigay ng boluntaryo ang kanyang number. Paano na lang kung wala? Isnt it too painful to lose a battle against your own younger sister?

“Huh? You’re just giving up?” Hindi makapaniwalang tanong ni Hendrix

“Just give her your number.” Tugon nya... Dude, if you pissed her off, you’re dead. Just cooperate!

“Thanks..” Saad ni Leona na walang kahirap-hirap na kinuha ang numero ng dalawa.

***

“Please spare me! Noooo! Ahhhh!”

“Weakling..” komento ni Damon matapos maglaho ng kanyang biktima

Chill na chill syang namamasyal sa lugar.

Damon smirked smugly. Who could snatch away his examinee number? Who would dare?

With his current points he’s already qualified at the top 25.

Damon is still busy playing with the examinee number he just acquired when all of a sudden a hand appeared out of nowhere, snatching away his own number.

“This is payment for last time.” A playful voice whispered

“Damn! Leonaaa!”

Damon’s last thought before he was vanished was: ‘Damn, I wont play pranks on her anymore!

Everyone watching the broadcast was dumbfounded.

The almighty emperor.... was eliminated?!

And the eliminator was the empress?!

They weren’t clear about his last words, but they clearly saw how Alanis Fauna, the current empress, snatched his examinee number like a death reaper. She can move in the shadows like a fish swimming in water. She vanishes and reappears on unexpected places, leaving her victims helpless. So scary!

“I thought she’s just a slayer major.. But isn’t she using spiritual powers??”
“You think so too??”
“Is that the power of darkness? Shadow travel??”
“You guys are wrong. That’s not shadow travel..”
“Yes, she’s just too good at blending with the shadows..”
“Like a skilled assassin!”

***

“This place is really familiar..” Arius

“I wonder where’s my two brothers are..?” Leona uttered, ignoring him.

“Is this place what I think it is..?” Arius

“I hope they’re not in trouble.” Leona

The two were completely not in sync. Leona was about to hunt for her next target when Arius stopped her.

“Why??” she asked

“This place is dangerous.” Arius

“Huh??”

“If my guess is right, you better leave.” Arius

***

Kalmadong binabaybay ni Cornelius Argos ang isang tulay sa isang liblib na parte ng Arena. Umaasang pagtatagpuin sila ng tadhana ng babaeng nais nyang makita at protektahan, ang prinsesa ng Solas, si Prinsesa Leona.

Subalit may ibang plano ang tadhana.

“Alanis Fauna! Hinahamon kita!” sigaw ni Cornelius nang mamataan ang dalaga

Malinaw pa rin sa kanyang alaala ang pagkatalo sa dalaga. Subalit iba na ang sitwasyon, malaya syang ibuhos ang buong lakas sa pakikipaglaban. Kasama ang kanyang summoned spirit na isang cheetah, mabilis nyang inatake si Alanis Fauna.

“Huh? Cornelius Argos?”

“Draw your weapon!”

“Oyy! What a surprise! If it isn’t Cornelius and the infamous Alanis Fauna.” Sabat ng isang bagong tinig

“Shallie!” kumunot ang noo ni Cornelius.. Ang babae ay myembro ng student council at kanyang kaibigan, si Shallistera.

“I acknowledge your strength young lady, you will surely be part of the top 25. So fight me!” Shallistera.. She is battle driven and always looking for a fight. She hones her skills through fights, earning her the title, Mad Dog of the Student Council.

“I dont have the time for any of these..” Tugon ni Leona

“What do yo—"

Isang nakabibinging sigaw ang umalingawngaw sa buong arena.

“W-what is that?” tanong ng isang manonood
“Normal ba na mayroong ganyang segment ang exam?”
“Ngayon lang ito nangyari.”
“Ano ang nilaalang na yun?”
“Mukang isang giant octopus!”
“Isa ba yang Summoned Spirit?”
“It looks dangerous.”
“Ohmygosh! Look! Sir Cornelius and Lady Shallistera are in danger!”
“Isang hampas lang ng halimaw at ang dami na agad dugo!”
“A-are they still alive?”

Hindi lamang ang mga mag-aaral, maging ang mga guro ay nagulantang.

“Headmaster! What’s happening?”
“The students are in danger!”
“We must do something!”

“I will go there, Headmaster. One of them is my student, Lady Fauna.” Presinta ni Prof Lucinda

“No, you are not that monster’s match.” Umiling ang headmaster.. Malinaw nyang nararamdaman ang lakas ng halimaw dahil konektado sya sa dimensyon ng arena.

“I will go.” Presinta ni Keith Griffin

Umilling ang headmaster.

“I dont know what that monster is, but we are not enough. It is beyond our realm. Evacuate all the remaining students.”

“What do you mean??” tanong ni Keith Griffin

“That monster is at the realm of legends, the Dragon Realm.”

Natigilan ang lahat..

Dragon Realm?

It has been more than a hundred years since the last time they heard of someone reaching the Dragon Realm, making it the realm of legends.

But now, a monster of that level has appeared in the arena.

How? And why now?

What will happen to everyone now?

“But what about those three students?” Prof Lucinda

“I will go.” Tugon ng headmaster

“You cant! You will surely die Headmaster!” kontra ng isang guro

“I know.. But I will at least try to save those three promising youngsters.”

Gustong komontra ng lahat.. Subalit bago pa man nila maibukas ang kanilang mga bibig para magprotesta, isang malakas na pagsabog ang umalingawngaw. Nayanig ang mga projections, senyales na tumilapon papalayo ang mga summoned spirit na sumusubaybay sa exam. Kinailangan ng ilang sandali bago muling makita ang sitwasyon.

“I-is that---”

“Lady Alanis??”

“Did she just used spiritual power?”

“Wait, that bat beside her—”

“Is that a summoned spirit??”

“Was that explosion a sound wave? She have spiritual powers??”

“Look! The monster was... pulverized?”

Hindi makapaniwala ang mga guro..

“She didn’t use the full power of that move. If she was not on that special dimension, that attack can split the entire continent into two.” Komento ng Headmaster

“What?” gulantang na react ni Professor Lucinda. She’s frightened by that powerful attack and the headmaster is saying that Alanis haven’t use the full power of that move?

The full power of that move can split the entire continent into two?

Fnck.

“Is she a deity in disguise that came to school to amuse herself out of pure boredom?” Prof Lucinda wonders

The Headmaster didn’t respond. He also dont know the answer to that question. He also suspects the possibility that Lady Alanis is not human!

Keith Griffin was dazed, he knew that something was up with Lady Amarantha’s niece. He even suspects that she’s Black Butterfly. Witnessing such power, is the seventh arbiter at the Dragon Realm?

Professor Lucinda wanted to cry, she’s really scared right now. Is that really her student? Alanis is not a mortal right? She’s definitely not normal!

Not just the teachers, everyone watching the live broadcast were trembling in fear. They weren’t there, but what they witnessed shattered their beliefs and shocked them. It’s their first time witnessing something this powerful.

“S-scary..” a girl uttered while trembling
With her word, the entire crowd was awoken from their daze.
“S-she’s actually THAT powerful...?”
“Is she still human?”
“No wonder the emperor acknowledged her as the empress.”
“To think that everyone was targeting such a monster.”
“Fools.. We’re all fools..”
“She have spiritual powers! What a twist!”
“She’s too powerful!”
“I think she’s actually the most powerful student!”
“Remember how chill she was even though people look down on her, what an awesome person..”
“Idol!!”
“She’s so cool!”
“Such an amazing individual is in this school.. I can tell my future children that I went to school with such a person during my school days..”
“But isn’t she even more powerful than the teachers...?”
“She is!”
“All hail the empress!”
The entire crowd cheered.

****

At the same time, Leona was busy removing all the blood that stained her dress.

It’s not her blood, it was the monster’s.

What a mess..

“Are you two okay??” tanong nya kina Cornelius at Shallistera

Hindi nakatugon ang dalawa.

Muntik na silang mamatay, alam nila yung dalawa.

Just the aura of that monster was enough to flatten them. But Alanis Fauna protected them earlier, they were even covered by the monster’s blood when it attacked them earlier. They saw how this woman countered that giant monster’s attack with her barehands...

“That was dangerous.” Komento ni Leona

Mabuti na lamang at agad nyang natagpuan ang halimaw na tinutukoy ni Arius.

Mahimbing itong natutulog sa lugar dahil ang dimensyon na ito ay nilikha ni Arius thousands of years ago bilang kulungan ng isang octopus na plano nyang gawing takoyaki, pero nakalimutan nya kaya lumakas ang octopus sa paglipas ng mahabang panahon. Dahil sa presensya ni Arius, nabulabog ang halimaw.

Napakairespunsableng diyos talaga ng Diyos ng Kadiliman!

Hindi pa alam ni Leona na dahil dito ay nasementohan ang kanyang pangalan na Alanis Fauna, bilang pinakamalakas sa buong paaralan.

~~~~~~~~~