Chapter 64: It's Just The Family Business

You were sitting in your room reading a book after your parents met with Archie's dad to discuss him being the major and Veronica walked in.
"F/N." Veronica smiled. "Always have your nose in a book." She giggled.
You looked up from your book. "What's up?"
"I think Fred will take the offer to become mayor." Veronica smiled.
"I know it's business and politics but I think it would be better to have Mom or Dad be mayor." You said.
"We can discuss that tomorrow with them. Night." Veronica said and gave you a hug.
"Night." You replied.

It was breakfast the next morning and they were discussing the possibilities of Fred taking the offer to become mayor.
"I put the odds at Fred saying yes at about 50/50." Your Dad said.
"As always mija anything you can whisper in Archie's ear?" Your Mom asked.
"Mom he's my boyfriend not some constituent." Veronica replied looking annoyed.
"You influence Archie and Archie influences Fred and we need Fred right now." Your Dad said.
Veronica looked down and started playing with her food.
"Okay that may be true but Archie isn't a pawn in a chess game he's someone Veronica cares about." You defended.
"When we announce our bigger plans." Your Mom began.
"We need someone well respected well liked." Your Dad finished.
"Fine I'll do my best." Veronica sighed.

"Archie I was researching and I found out your Dad needs 12,000 signatures to run for mayor so I was thinking that we could collect them together?" Veronica suggested.
She had a shocked face. "Wait Archie."
She gave all three of us a look that told us that Archie said no.
"How about you go over there?" You suggested.
"That's what I'm going to do. I'll see you soon and give you the update." Veronica said grabbing a binder.
After Veronica left your parents looked at you.

"Why do you think Archie is resisting?" Your Mom asked.
"I don't know maybe Jughead had something to do with it." You said sadly.
"But Jughead doesn't have anything on us." You quickly said.
"Or at least that we know of." Your Dad sighed.

You were waiting anxiously for Veronica to come home and soon Veronica came home.
"Mom I will do the family bidding at school but Archie is off limits." Veronica said.
"Losing your nerve?" Your Mom asked.
"No not at all but he's become a pawn on our chessboard and it's hurting our relationship." Veronica stated.
"Veronica in this business of ours the women always walk the razor's edge the men are the gangsters but we use our cunning a hand on the elbow a whisper in the ear to manage things behind the scenes and that goes for you as well F/N." Your Mom simply said.
"Maybe that's true but not with Archie." Veronica persisted.
"You're right to protect your relationship with Archie." Your Mom said softly.

You were at home and you saw Pop enter and talk to your Dad privately. After he left he called you, your mom, and Veronica in.
"Just like me, you, and discussed earlier Jughead Jones is asking questions about the Choc Lit Shoppe." Your Dad whispered yelled.
"Jughead Jones!" Your Dad yelled and slammed on his desk.
You and Veronica gasped.
"Did Pop Tate keep his mouth shut?" Your Mom asked.
"More or less." Your Dad replied.
"Then he has nothing." You said.
"No what he has is someone from our inner circle feeding him information and only the four of us and Archie Andrews knows. Yes he has proven his loyalty to us but what's to say he isn't feeding information to his best pal Jug." Your Dad said.
"That would make sense because his motive could be the election it seems like he doesn't want his dad to run for mayor. So maybe he gave Jughead the information to write something about it that would keep Fred from running." You said.
Veronica looked shocked and confused.
"That would make a lot of sense." Your Mom said.
"It was me!" Veronica yelled.
"What?!" We all yelled confused.
"We were all at Shadow Lake and Jughead was grilling me about Southside asking me questions about Southside High and other areas so I gave the smallest truth I could." Veronica said.
"Veronica so help me." Your Dad said angry.
"That was quick thinking mija." Your Mom intervened.
"What? You can't possibly think that was a prudent choice." Your Dad said.
"I do. Veronica wisely through the dog a relatively harmless bone to keep him from a bigger more controversial one. Her gambit bought us the time we need to do some damage control." Your Mom defended.
"Ojalá you two were right." Your Dad said still mad.
"Gracias a Dios al menos F/N puede mantener su boca cerrada. (Thank God at least F/N can keep her mouth shut.)" Your Dad said.
"This is just the family business right?" You thought.